Votes: 25 44.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am a new Archer named Red Dot but I cannot log on my PC since I am away from home on an archery & bowhunting training expedition

I am RED DOT ( handle) from Bush LA

Here is my Problem

I shot my first IBO Qualifier Saturday in Maryland.
My first 3-D Tournement

I was told that I qualify for the Master Class Ages 60+ but
I WOULD HAVE TO SHOOT AGAINST MALES IN MY CLASS

I refused to shoot with the men and shot in the Ladies 50+ group.

It seems that IBO doesn't want to buy a trophy for a class with few shooters , but IBO WILL take my money.

( Master is 60+ Plus 65)

IBO DOES NOT HAVE A SEPERATE WOMENS GROUP FOR MASTER LADIES

I want to shoot with my peers, (LADIES ARE MORE FUN TO SHOOT WITH ANYWAY)
like most people and no where else does IBO make women shoot against men.

I checked the IBO Web site when we got home

So I would like a show of hands .

Do you ladies think this is right or wrong?

Dot Grantham on the PC of
Africanbowhunter

PS I shot my first arrow in my life 1-1-2003
I am a widow and a retired Nurse and have just opened my very own archery pro shop

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
There are good arguments on both sides. Even with the weight limit (like fita) or speed limit (like ASA) guys have ON AVERAGE an advantage-my 200 FPS arrow out of my recurve bow carries in the wind better then most ladies' 200FPS arrow even if they shoot the same weight bow due to my longer draw. However, this is less pronounced with compounds and the shorter distances involved in 3D.

In 1976 Margaret Murdock beat all but one man in the olympic rifle championships. Women regularly place high or win rifle tournaments-even big bore competitions involving heavily recoiling 30 caliber jobs. In 1988 a Chinese Woman won the Olympic skeet gold medal beating (among others) world champions Matt Dryke and Dan Carlisle.

Nora Martin has run 1000+ targets in ATA trap-not many men can do that. Katie Smith won Vegas with a score that tied the top man. Korean ladies often shoot the same scores at 70M as do the men-and more importantly the same OR round passes. At the last European championships, Italy's Natalia Valeeva's 72 arrow 70M qualifying score beat every man but that posted by the great Michele Frangilli-the best all around archer in the world.

as to the comradarie argument-that is a legit counter. so is "if they take my money I should have a class"

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Archery is an athletic event

Good Post Sir

But archery & bow shooting is very VERY physical

and ypu will noptice as grow older its harder to climb the hills, and shoot and pull out the McKenzie targets (groan).... and the body lacks the horsepower to draw the stronge faster bows.....

then the eyes go and the target are harder to see......

AND ONE SAD DAY THE OLD ARCHER SAYS

"TO HELL WITH IT" AND
stays home or goes off to do something that is fun and doesnt bust a gut and wear you out for days..........

The Olympics say men & women must compete only against their own sex NOT ONE ANOTHER!

Why is IBO doing this?

Thanks for the Vote

:confused:

·
Archery Coach
23,291 Posts
I think both sexes age fairly equally. Eyes get bad no matter which sex. As to women competing against men in the olympics, or in their own classifications, at one time women competed against men in rifle, shotgun and the fairly demanding equestrian events.

as I said, there are good arguments on both sides. I came back to archery as a 3D shooter (after having been a recurve olympic style shooter as a kid). I started in compound and then saw that IBO had a recurve aided event so I broke out my old bear C handle Vic Berger autographed 1972 era bow and started practicing, IBO dropped that category for some reason even though almost every other archery style still has a class.

Can I explain the IBO's thinking:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

NO

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Adding a new class is not as easy as one thinks, if IBO adds a new class, it effects small local clubs as well, adds another level of paperwork/book keeping etc.

None of which is huge, but is an incremental amount of work. There is probably no class for what you describe for the simple reason its never been requested, or hasn't been requested often enough to warrant it. As time goes more woman will qualify for that class, so it would probably be added.

--Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
SEPERATE CLASS

YES, the IBO should seperate this group. I also feel that the boys and girls in Cubs should be seperated!!! If it is the Trophy Price that they are worried about then if there is less than 2 shooters in that class, No trophy should be handed out.

Just my opinion!!!

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look like the ladies are not voting!

Ladies need to get out and vote IMHO

·
Registered
118 Posts
Personally, I enjoy shooting against men. What difference does it really make besides the fact that you enjoy shooting with women better. Men may have an advantage of being able to pull more weight, etc... But when a bow shoots a max of 280 FPS, it's 280 FPS whether you're pulling 40 lbs or 80. In some of the tournaments I have shot, the women's stake is closer than the men's, and I personally enjoy the challenge of the longer distances. And there has been times that I have had more fun shooting with men than with the women.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good for you

Perhaps it can be optional for women to complete

But the lady in question is over 65 and didnt feel she should have to compete with the men

Making women compete against men will undoubtly keep women off the range

IBO makes female cub shoot against the boy C ubs

This is not fair

In the Olympics men do no complet e agaisnt women just at IBO

I am a male too

Tink Nathan

·
Registered
720 Posts
It all seems to boil down to wanting a chance to WIN, WIN, WIN...... It would be great if winning wasn't the prime objective but rather enjoying shooting. I guess we need a class that is male, between the age of 48 and 50, over weight, balding, bad back, walk with a limp, and wear glasses............. If we make a class for each and everyone then we won't even have to shoot to win, just signup, pay the money, pick up the trophy, and go home. Heck, it will save me a bunch of time................

·
Registered
64 Posts
Men Vs Women

I know that I dont want to shoot with only women. I happen to enjoy the company of the gentlemen that I shoot with. I am only stating that when my score is posted that it should be posted with my peers (other women shooting with comparable equipment) !!!! At our local shoots yes the womens stake is closer than the mens HC stakes so, I shoot the mens stakes because the Womens HC at the bigger shoots are the same yardages as the mens. So I do shoot with a lot of men but my scores do not compare YET!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
3-D classes

Hi Red Dot, How many other women would you have been shooting against if they had the womens master class you are talking about?

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RED DOT RESPONDS

It s not revelant my dear

I am a Lady and I will not shoot if I have to shoot against males

Its not right................

I wish ther were more ladies shooting...............

I have the same right as other....and that is to shoot in a class of my peers

I hear that ASA will honor my class so I may well shoot with them

If IBO will not let me shoot then I wont shoot IBO

I shoot for enjoyment and if its not going to be fun I may well pass

RED DOT

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I believe it is relavent

You say you want to shoot against your peers but if you are the only one in the class then you are shooting against you.
I would shoot for the pure enjoyment of shooting even if there was not a class for me.
I would shoot in the class as close to what i believe I should shoot.
Don't quit, shoot and enjoy all the new friends you meet and thank God you are able to get out and enjoy the outdoors.:D

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
NFAA in the years past use to have classes based on total score for a field round a perfect round was 560, so if you were shooting a average score of 490 or more you were a AAA shooter. So it seems to be the way to go, if you are a top shooter then you should have one class both men or women in it, then a b class and then a c class so you are always shooting within your own skill peer group. I also see the downfall of archery to have to many classes....With todays bows, and setting a max fps 280 range, it would seem that both men or women could compete on a level field. What do you think........Just like me I am over 62 and still want to shoot with the FS bowhunter and not the over 60 group...

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Archery & 3-D is in a tail spin down hill

we must not be doing things right Bill archery is onthe decline and bowhuntign it shootign thru the roof 50% of all hunters nwo bowhunt

why cant we get the bowhunter sot shoot paper? R ules?

I went to a Md State Shoot last week with 30 shooters No cubs

TINK

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
My buddy is in the cortland archers and then can not get enought to have the club as a nfaa club, they need the nfaa insurance so they just paid for some of the board members to be nfaa so they can still get the insurance....seems strange that nfaa has gone down the hill, Tink I am sure you can think back I use to get 150 + shooters on a sunday in cub run at Manassas VA. Also in NY at Tri cities at Vestal NY as use to have on any sunday over +100 shooters, they are now not even a nfaa club I was told. They just shoot IBO...Why has NFAA gone down so badly, is it because it is to long to shoot 28 targets or just that people do not want to shoot the long shots any more ??? I can think back to the first time I got a good score on the 80 yards walk up at cub rub, hell I was robin hood or fred bear...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts