Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after shooting for 1 1/2 hours yesterday I got home and laid down for a while then noticed a sharp pain in my right shoulder. It's only when I lift my right arm up towards the side... It's a sharp, stinging pain and I'm hoping that rest and some stretching will help me out.

I'm also considering dropping my draw weight from 70# to 60#

Has anyone else gotten shoulder pain after shooting? What did you do that helped?

·
Air Bender
803 Posts
Ice and whiskey.....oh yeah and stretching...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
30,357 Posts
Ice it and rest. Don't shoot for at least 1 week and stretch every day. See how it feels after 1 week and go from there.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Happens to me all the time if I shoot to long I'd dial back the amount of time your shooting .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Back down to ground level
16,593 Posts
Did that 2 weeks before the season. It was so bad I couldn't get the string back an inch. It will go away, maybe in 3 weeks, or maybe 3 months. Worst pull I had took 8 months. Rub the spot with a liquid heat(sombra works pretty well). If you still must shoot, use heat before, then ice it after. I would give it a rest for at least a couple weeks, and don't shoot if it still bothers you. You will only make it worse.

·
Padawan
2,380 Posts
Good advice here in general.
Also consider strengthening your opposite and complimentary muscles (chest, shoulder, back, lats, core/stomach, lower back). A lot of my shoulder pain went away from getting my body properly balanced in strenth.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

I do a lot of strength training and yesterday I happened to do a heavy back day, so my back was tired and I was pulling more so with my should than I normally would to compensate for the tired back muscles... Sometimes I get too focused on tuning or preparing for a hunt and I could shoot for a lot longer than I should.. I shot for closer to 2 hours straight yesterday with no breaks, attempting to broad head tune and prepare for our early September opener.. Guess I'll lay it off for a while and back off to 60lbs, I need new arrows anyways so it's perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts