Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago I started having dull pain in my right shoulder. It's progressively gotten worse and in the last few days, it hurts to raise my arm above my head. I tried to shoot today but by the third shot I couldn't draw my bow back half-way without severe pain. I'm going to call my Dr. tomorrow to schedule an appointment. Wish me luck. Anybody had shoulder issues? I'm going to be really disappointed if I have to hunt turkeys with a shotgun!

· Registered
772 Posts
Yep I have and feel your pain brother. I had my left one scoped and the surgeon found a ligament that had calcified, from a previous injury, that was causing the pain. My right shoulder had a rotator cuff tear that needed repair. The rehab for that deal was no fun at all let me tell ya. Good luck to you.

OlGord

· team whacknstack
3,416 Posts
im with ya man goin thru it to im fixin to make an appt but they ant gonna cut on me after june, i can still draw a bow an it hurts after but il wait till after season if they wanna cut....

· Registered
13,543 Posts
Hope you hear some good news at the Drs appt!

· Registered
3,814 Posts
i hope its not a rotator cuff, those are extremely tough to tear, i have a torn labrum in my right shoulder from pitching in college, luckily i can still draw my bow.

· JB WELD PRO STAFFER
13,674 Posts
Been there you need to see your doc and dont even look at your bow. It could be dozens of things for me it was, 5 bone spurs that were cutting everything up in my shoulder causing scar tissue on my RC and other things. doc went in and removed those guys and then he shaved my RC scar tissue off and for good measure removed a half inch from my collar bone( I still dont know why he did that).

Well after 2 months of horrible recovery I got a new bow 50-60 and bottomed it out to 49. managed to hunt the 2007 season surgery was in jun. Shoulder still isnt 100% maybe more like 70-80% But I can shoot with zero pain and do pushups just fine. Get it taken car of now before it gets real bad

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes I have. Let me ask you this, do you find that it hurts at night when your trying to sleep? In particular, does numbness set in at night and run from your shoulder into your arm?

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have. Let me ask you this, do you find that it hurts at night when your trying to sleep? In particular, does numbness set in at night and run from your shoulder into your arm?
No numbness. It doesn't keep me up at night but I usually sleep on my right side, so it hurts when I wake up in the morning. The pain is most severe if I raise my arm straight out to the side 90 degrees or try to reach behind me.

· Registered
2,125 Posts
It could be a number of things so it is good you are getting it checked. I had bursitis and osteoarthritis in my left shoulder. Anything with "tis" at the end isn't fun. I also have tendnitisin both elbows. You sound like you are a lot of pain so maybe it is something more. I can't take Ibuprofen for mine because I was taking 4 tablets 4 times a day for my pain that it did some damage to my liver. Now, I am just sucking it up! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

· Registered
144 Posts
I also had a rotator cuff injury. Fortunately mine wasn't severe enough to warrant surgery but it was a long recovery. I could not lift above my head, throw, or lift my body weight on that arm. I had to be very mindful of how I was using it and if I wasn't, the pain sure let me know. Depending on the severity, you may just need to rest it for a while. I am finally back to 100% but only after months of rehabbing that arm.

Hopefully it will be nothing more severe than that for you.

· Registered
801 Posts
My right shoulder was real bad and to a lesser degree my left. Most days I couldn't even lift a quart of milk out of the fridge without using my body to lift my arm to lift the milk. After a day at work using nail guns etc it would just throb. doctors were talking about surgery but I got talked into massage. It took quit awhile 4 - 6 months of treatments but they feel like they did years ago. No pain when working, and no pain when shootin bow. Worth a try 'cause surgery doesn't always go well and if the massage doesn;t work the surgery is an option. No problem picking things up in front or to the side and lifting it above my head.

· Registered
1,022 Posts
I bet it's the same thing i have, impingement syndrome.

About 6 months ago i woke up with a sore shoulder. I thought maybe i just slept on it wrong. After about 5 months of the exact same symptoms you mentioned, i went to a chiropractor. Impingement syndrome is one of the most common causes of pain in the shoulder. It results from pressure on the rotator cuff from part of the shoulder blade (scapula) as the arm is lifted. I get adjusted twice a week along with an ultrasound treatment and muscle stimulator treatments. He told me right away to take 4 Aleve twice a day for about a week to take the inflamation down. That helped alot but my pain (although much less) came back right after i stopped the aleve. So, one month into treatments he has me starting to do exercises but it still bothers me. I'm ready for a cortizone shot which would be the next step. Hopefully if you have the same, it wont be as bad.

The pain is most severe if I raise my arm straight out to the side 90 degrees or try to reach behind me.
That sounds exactly like what i feel.

I have been scared as hell to pick up my bow and give it a try. I'm afraid it will hurt too much and if it continues, i may have to think about a Xbow. I'll do everything in my power before i have to resort to that.

If i were you i would get a chiropractors opinion too. Hope everything works out and let us know what you find out. If you never have had a shoulder injury in the past, it makes it harder to believe that it is a rotator cuff injury. More than likely, impingement.

· Registered
34 Posts
I am a physical therapist and do a lot of shoulder stuff. Make sure you see an orthopedic doc, preferably one who does a lot of throwers. Stay away from primary care docs and especially chiropractors; don't waste the time. If no surgery and they say rehab, find a PT who does a lot of throwers. where do you live?

· Registered
341 Posts
No numbness. It doesn't keep me up at night but I usually sleep on my right side, so it hurts when I wake up in the morning. The pain is most severe if I raise my arm straight out to the side 90 degrees or try to reach behind me.
I had the same kind of pain 10 years ago. It continued to get worse until I couldn't take it anymore. I had an MRI and found a partial tear in my right deltoid. After 10 months of rehab and ultrasound therapy which included daily stretches and VERY light lifting exercises I am back @90%. Once you have shoulder trouble it is very difficult to be 100%. I no longer do barbell bench presses. I have to use dumb bells with my palms facing each other. It's called a neutral grip. I hope you get better news than I did. By the way, if you are shooting a high poundage bow (70#) I would leave the ego at the door and drop down to 55#. Best of luck. My heart and shoulder goes out to you.

· Registered
205 Posts
Good luck with the doc. I havent torn my rotator cuff but I did sprain my AC joint playing high school football. Been 20 years and it still acts up from time to time. My colloar bone sticks up over the joint and sometimes it doesnt go back in place when i exert alot of stress on the joint. Again good luck

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.