Archery Talk Forum banner

Show us your grips

2273 8
Post photos of customized grips you have or have seen, along with comments on how you did it, what you used and what you think of the results.

I have some bondo but might try some wood repair epoxy putty I found at Home Depot. I had some left over from repairing a chair and made a 1" diameter ball out of it that I carried in my pocket with keys for a couple of weeks to test it's durability. It held up extremely well and I think would be a good candidate to build a grip up with.

I got putty like this from Home Depot in the wood type, but I'm sure any color would work.

Bondo body filler from AutoZone
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
968 Posts

Alright, so here's what I like-
Nice, fairly slim, so I don't feel like I'm floating all over (especially at the throat- I like them wide enough that they don't hurt my hand, but not much thicker). Slight angle, as you can see in the second picture (higher on the left side)- this puts my arm in the right position, and provides even pressure. Notice that if you hold your hand as you should (nice and relaxed, not torqued), there is more meat sticking out on the right side (RH archer) than on the left (due to the meaty pad on your palm next to your thumb).

What I don't like about it-
Well, it doesn't match well. I could deal with the colors well enough, but that ugly lumpy crack on the lower left just can't do. I'll probably patch it at some point.
I might also give it a rundown with some fine sandpaper and smooth it out a little.

· Registered
968 Posts
Is that epoxy putty? Did you get it right on the first try?
Yes, epoxy putty (I like the Devcon stuff, it attacks my files a little less than the Oatey, but this one is Oatey since it's what I had on hand).

Yes, I got this one right on my first try (no need to file), but I've been doing this for a few years. :wink: So I was matching an old grip that had been extensively played with.

· Registered
1,391 Posts
I like the "PC-Products" brand of Plumbing Epoxy Putty (that Home Depot, ACE, Lowe's, etc. sells). It has a 3-minute working time but I wet my latex gloves with water when kneading/mixing it and it extends the working period by at least a couple of minutes. The sprinkles of water also softens the epoxy so that you can shape it (and feather it into the grip at the edges) much easier....while at the same time making the finish smooooother. I make it the exact shape that I want but I leave the modified grip a little oversized so I can file/sand the finish.....no matter how smooth I can make it with water it still leaves 'minor waviness' that I remove with a file. My son convinced me to spray the finished grip with black 'Dupli-Color' Truck Bed Coating (that you buy in a rattle-can at Wal-Mart for about $8.00) and it turned out very nice....lightly 'textured'. - John

· Registered
138 Posts
I ended up making a wood grip out of walnut. Took about 45 minutes, I have a band saw and table saw which made it pretty easy to do. After the general fit was done, I carved/filed it to fit my hand. I didn't put a clear coat on because I wanted it to be a little grippier.

Attachments

· Registered
555 Posts
I found a problem with Jager grips.

If you're not exact in line (arms, shoulders, etc) the hand makes a torque over the grip and do that the stabilizer and the arrow doesn't point at the same place.

In my case (I'm left-handed) the stabilizer went to the left and when you was at aim you could see the stabilizer hide behind the window. I changed the grip to my previous and the problem disapeared.

Take a look at that because is not the fist time that this happens with other jager grips I know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.