Archery Talk Forum banner

shrewd grip

571 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TheDoctorReal
I shot a mathews legacy and I thought about changing the grip out to a shrewd grip. Before I do that I have 2 questions that I hope some of you can help me answer.
1. How do you get the grip off of the bow?

2. I understand that the shrewd grip will increase my draw length-which will help me in my case. But- I just got new arrows that come back to within a 1/4 of my drop away rest. Will this difference in draw length make my arrows to short for my set up.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,344 Posts
I split my BT grip down the back w/a hammer and wood chisel and pulled it off in 2 halves. You can use fishing line pulled up under grip also. When you put your Shrewd on put a bead of 100% silicone down the back of the grip and on sides, push it on and ziptie it down overnight. No, it won't affect your arrows.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
While splitting the grip does need to happen once in a while here is a way to get the grip off without splitting it.

1. Take your wife's worst hairdryer and aim it at the grip. It is best to aim it at the lower part and let the air current blow up along the grip. Try not to angle the air flow towards the strings/cables.
2. Let it warm the grip, on the high setting, for about five minutes. Take a screw driver (flat head) and work it under the grip and start to slowly push forward and lever the grip off. If it is real stubborn they just let it warm up some more. Eventually, it will give and pop off keeping the grip intact.
3. Take a good adhesive remover and apply it to location that the grip just came off of(Goo-B-Gone Gel is best) and let that sit for about 20 minutes. Dont worry, it wont affect the finish of the bow.
4. Take a cloth and wipe off the goo and goo-b-gone. Remove all that you can with the cloth and qtips.
5. Wash the whole area, twice, in a mild warm water/soap solution. Make sure all that Goo-B-Gone is washed off or it might mess with the grip.
6. Apply a thin bead of weather sealent down the back of the riser.
7. Install grip and push hard to make sure it is totally seated.
8. Take a zip tie and zip-tie the grip to the bow in the narrowest part of the grip. Constrict the zip tie and then slide it down the grip so it is tight.
9. Wait 24 hours and you are good to go.

Hope this helped.

· audentes fortuna iuvat
21,485 Posts
While splitting the grip does need to happen once in a while here is a way to get the grip off without splitting it.

1. Take your wife's worst hairdryer and aim it at the grip. It is best to aim it at the lower part and let the air current blow up along the grip. Try not to angle the air flow towards the strings/cables.
2. Let it warm the grip, on the high setting, for about five minutes. Take a screw driver (flat head) and work it under the grip and start to slowly push forward and lever the grip off. If it is real stubborn they just let it warm up some more. Eventually, it will give and pop off keeping the grip intact.
3. Take a good adhesive remover and apply it to location that the grip just came off of(Goo-B-Gone Gel is best) and let that sit for about 20 minutes. Dont worry, it wont affect the finish of the bow.
4. Take a cloth and wipe off the goo and goo-b-gone. Remove all that you can with the cloth and qtips.
5. Wash the whole area, twice, in a mild warm water/soap solution. Make sure all that Goo-B-Gone is washed off or it might mess with the grip.
6. Apply a thin bead of weather sealent down the back of the riser.
7. Install grip and push hard to make sure it is totally seated.
8. Take a zip tie and zip-tie the grip to the bow in the narrowest part of the grip. Constrict the zip tie and then slide it down the grip so it is tight.
9. Wait 24 hours and you are good to go.

Hope this helped.

Yes, yes, yes... Put the hammers down and try this first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.