Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know how much antlers shrink after drying period? What I'm asking is are we talking 1/8's, inch, or several inches? I'm assuming the bigger the antlers the more they shrink. Just looking for actual numbers from guys who have green scored there deer then scored after the 3 months.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
i had a 153 drop to a 1513/8 but everytime someone score they seem to come up with a little bit dofferent number.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Seems like all the ones I've green scored have Lost between 2-5 inches after drying period

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The majority of loss during the 60-day drying period will be the inside spread.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Are there any rules about keeping a skull in a freezer during the drying period
From Pope & Young:

“Drying” Period – Once an animal has been harvested and tagged/registered/processed, the antlers/horns/skull needs to go through a mandatory drying period of at least 60 days. Before the drying period begins, it would be appropriate to completely clean the skull plate (for antlered and horned animals). In the case of bear and cougar skulls, the drying period can not begin until the skull has been completely cleaned of all flesh and membrane (either via boiling or a bug box). During this drying period, the antlers/horns/skull must remain at room temperature and normal atmospheric humidity, in an unaltered state.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts