Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only picture of this deer. It looks like his back right foot got torn off and started to grow back. He probably didnt make it, very poor shape.

Attachments

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
Sorry, I am not seeing what you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
In Virginia, during hot dry summers, deer are affected by hemmoragic disease caused by deer flies. Deers with the disease look skinny like the one in the picture. The disease also causes the hooves to come off. Some deer recover from it, but others die from fever and most carcuses are found in or near water. About 3 years ago, a game warden told me that he and a biologist counted more than 200 dead deer along the banks of a river in my hunting area.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
SilentElk said:
Sorry, I am not seeing what you are talking about.
Look how much shorter the back leg closest the camera is relative to the knee. Looks like a good 2-3 inces are gone.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Ouch...definitely painful. Although I think your picture is a good one for understanding and selecting shot placement...sad, but useful.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
poor thing...

·
Public land herd thinner
2,248 Posts
Looks like to me that the deer is taking a step forward while the pic was taken .

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Looks like he has a bum leg.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Its hard to tell if that is just the pic or if he got injured. Because of how skinny he is I am leaning toured injury.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Looks like a typical Texas deer to me...All rack and no body...

As far as the leg goes, it does look shorter, but this could just be a birth defect that may no affect the life span of the animal...He doesn't look sick to me, but I'm not a vet either...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts