Archery Talk Forum banner

Side rod length suggestion?

1510 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Joe Schnur
I'm going to upgrade my stab set later on this year and I'm wondering what's a good length to get for the side rods. I currently have 30" long rod and 10" side rods. Would upgrading side rods to 12" show significant changes or just stick with 10"?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,600 Posts
According to some sources I've read - longer side rods can make an arrow act slightly weaker.

Not sure if that would affect your decision or not. Personally I like longer side rods because I find I can actually have a bit more mass weight in my Bow and a little more ajustiblitiy in the feel and holding at full draw.

· Registered
340 Posts
From what I gathered out of Steve Ellison's document on Controlling Bow Behavior with a Stabilizer, (and I may be wrong, so please correct) the whole point is to get the rods are to stabilize movement in the 3 main directions, and to move straight forward and down upon release. You will want the center of gravity of the bow somewhere just below and in front of the pivot point, or where your hand contacts the riser.

Side rods, concerning rotation, will
1. have a small effect on forwards/backwards motion.
2. Have a small/moderate effect around the arrow line (When aiming, how much rotation you'll have around the point of aim)
3. Have a moderate/large effect around the riser. (torque)

So, I'm guessing here, that if you have a lot of torque when you shoot, longer side rods will be needed or vise versa. But you also have to pay attention to the center of gravity and how it moves off your hand upon release.

· Registered
502 Posts
Need longer siderods if you have an extender. 15" plus weights would probably do it with an extender.

· Registered
1,061 Posts
As I have nearly tripped over a bow that was standing on a bow pod my bow no longer sets on the floor. Many archers are either wearing a piece of tape on their glasses or shooting without using clarifiers these days.

· Registered
764 Posts
Stabilization is a combination of two things distance from center of rotation and mass longer rods allow you to have less weight and Achieve the same stabilization or Achieve greater stabilization with the same weight I personally use a 33 out front and 2 15's on the back for recurve 1 15 out back for compound the compound stabilization is the best it has ever been but I also have a lot of weight out there. 8 ounces on the front 6 on the side

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.