Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to Cabelas today, I have been wanting a modern recurve, I have a few older bows, that I would rather show than shoot...

Since I only can pull about 40#s, I have always just used the around the leg method.. That ain't happening with this bow :eek:

I feel like a dope!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Yup. A quality stringer (or two) = a safely strung bow and money well spent.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I've used them all and like the Saunders the best..

You should always use a stringer on all your bows.. Randy

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use the selway one from the link given above. I like it, but I did have to replace the cord with some longer paracord for it to work well with my 64" longbow. Anything's better than the leg method. There was a post on here a few months ago with pictures of guys who'd come close to losing their eyes when they made a mistake stringing a bow without a stringer.

·
Registered
38,292 Posts
In the meantime you can just use this method, as demonstrated in the FITA Coaching manual from archery.org.

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
You could make one like I did.

(1) Length of good Para Cord
(2) a short piece of 1/4" rubber hose or 2 pieces if #3 isn't available.
(3) a piece of old leather belt.

have the Para Cord about 1.75 the length of your bow "IE if your bow is a 60" then you'll need at least 105" of Cord"
have the rubber tubing about 2X longer than the width of your bow limbs & thread the Para Cord through the tubing & make your loop & tie it good.
Repeat on the other end if the Leather Belt material isn't available.
With the Leather Belt material you want 5", then bend it over to give you 2.5" on each side, drill a hole on the 4 corners so that you can thread the Para Cord through, Tie a small enough loop at this end to just fit over the tip & have the leather resting against the tip where it is bent over at.

Once assembled you can then place the leather tip over the lower limb tip & the rubber tubing over the top limb "or if you have just rubber on both ends just slide both rubber tubing loops over the top & bottom limbs" & bringing the rubber tubing close to the top string loop, step onto the center of the stringer & pull straight up on the bow handle while working the top loop into the string nock.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Whatever stringer you use, be sure to have someone handy the first few times you use it, until you get a feel for it. You can destroy a bow by using a bow stringer improperly.

FWIW, I like the Selway stringer.

Chad

·
Registered
157 Posts
Stay well clear of the OMP stringer. It is poorly designed with a metal grommet that loves to scratch the bow each and every time you use it. I threw mine away after using it once. I couldn't see the inside of the limb pocket until I bought and opened the package.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I try not to get frustrated with the lack of traditional archery supplies, I killed some time this morning, waiting for this place by me to open, called the machine said, they opened at noon. Got there, the place is closed for bussiness...

SO, I went to a fairly big archery store, not five minutes from my house, that carries nothing traditional. BUT, they not only had stringers, which surpised me, but, the guy was very cool about showing me how to use it, to set up and take the string off as well, and made me do it myself, until I felt comfortable doing it, a friend brought over a stringer, but just put it in the mail box, watching youtube still did not give me the confidence to try it myself..

Soooo, I got one from these guys, because I did not want to be rude, and they were very nice.

Came home, set up my target, and got comfortable with my new bow.

All in all, it was not a bad day :banana:

Again, my thanks to all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts