Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Huntin' MO Woods
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up the set up of one of my gt500's and having issues. With my site housing all the way down and top pin up fairly high in the housing, I've got at least a 7-8" low point of impact. It's a 5 pin armortech in .19. I'm afraid to lower the top pin too much cause I might run out of room to sight in the bottom pins. I only shoot 62lbs and a 470 grain arrow. Never had this happen before, but I've always shot short ATA bows til now, it's almost 35" compared to my old bear instinct and 2010 Z7. Don't know if that can make a difference or not. My anchor points are the same as always, and I tried dropping my release hand down and was very uncomfortable.

Have already checked for fletching contact and nothing, not to mention it's shooting bullet holes at 3, 5 and 10 feet through paper. And my windage on the site is set dead middle, and am hitting perfect left to right.

Could my cams be out of sync? I don't have a draw board, but have checked the stops and they are hitting the limb at the same time as much as I can tell.

I'm lost????? Help please, thank you

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
:dontknow: I saw your reply to my thread too. I raised my peep sight up and moved my sight housing up to middle and aligned the two then tied in my peep. I am going to see what that did.

I had this problem last year too and I think I ended-up changing my anchor point. I haven't shot a bow since September last year but it should come back to me.

· Registered
4,421 Posts
Sounds like your peep may be moving down also. When you started to set the pins, was it 7-8 inches low? or has the arrow hit higher each time you moved the sight down?

· Registered
2,235 Posts
Try the Peep Periscope, it raises your line of sight and corrects problems with anchoring too high. It wont correct having your realese set too long, your trigger should be an 1/8 inch in front of your second knuckel. And your realese forearm should be in line with your arrow. Are you leaning your head? ask a friend? Basicly only 2 problems cause this, too short draw lenght and or too high anchor point.

also You need to chase your miss with the pin, if you miss up move your pin up!

· Registered
739 Posts
i had the same problem a while ago i just raised my peep up and that fixed it

· Registered
3,882 Posts
as these guys mentioned i would think maybe you are anchoring too high and need to change your anchor point and adjust your peep accordingly. that is my only guess.

or you could shoot a lighter arrow which will bring your pins up a tad. i know if i shoot a 475 grain arrow out of my bow thats dialed for 350 grain arrow at 20 yards i have to use my 30 pin. at 40 i have to aim for 55 yards. you get the point

· Registered
55,421 Posts
ASSUMING your using a peep(people tend to leave out important things) set your sight back to the netural position. Then MOVE your peep UP. This exact question has come up at the very least a half dozen times in the last week-------it's the same answer everytime----move the peep up.

· Registered
9,007 Posts
Bare shaft tune or at least make sure that your rest and nock point are close to level or maybe just a little nock high. Once the bow is shooting right then you can adjust sights and or peep or anchor point.

· Registered
4,555 Posts
There are three possible causes.

1. very slow arrow, the slower the arrow the more it will drop, the more arch you have to put into the flight and thus the lower your sights
2. poor tune, if the arrow comes out of the bow going downhill you are are already cutting yourself short. This could be caused by too high of a nock point, fleching contact, cam sync ...

The most common and most mis-understood
3. high anchor point. A lot of people call this the peep being too low but that is NOT how it works. Your peep height is not just an arbitrary distance that you can change randomly. Your peep height is determined by your form and your anchor point. YOU CANNOT JUST RAISE YOUR PEEP. Rather, you need to develop a new lower anchor point and then set the peep so you comfortable seeing through it. Setting the peep to the correct location once you have determined a good anchor is easy. Set your sight to the middle of it's vertical travel. Nock an arrow and point the bow at a target. Now draw back with your eyes CLOSED. get anchored and settled in. When you open your eyes your peep should be right there. If you have to adjust to see through it you need move the peep and repeat the process.

Mitch

· Huntin' MO Woods
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to all so far. I'll put up a pic of my form and see what you think about my draw arm and anchor points. And I started with my sight in the middle and set my peep to that.

And would spott hogg's bracket fit my armortech?

· NC ASA Director
36,223 Posts
Draw you bow and close your eyes before you hit anchor. Make sure you feel real comfortable with your anchor. then Open your eyes and see where the peep should be. Move peep and repeat until it is directly in front of your eye.

· Registered
4,555 Posts
I just depends how low your sight is getting. If it is just "low" to the point where you run out of mass vertical adjustment then you may be able to find an offset bracket to lower the mounting holes for the sight.
On the other hand if it is "LOW" to the point where it will start to contact your top fletching you will need to address the bigger problems that I posted above.

Mitch

· Huntin' MO Woods
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like your peep may be moving down also. When you started to set the pins, was it 7-8 inches low? or has the arrow hit higher each time you moved the sight down?
when i first started, i was like 15" low with the housing set in the middle. Peep is tied in and has not moved, still lined up with marks i made when installing it.

· Huntin' MO Woods
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ASSUMING your using a peep(people tend to leave out important things) set your sight back to the netural position. Then MOVE your peep UP. This exact question has come up at the very least a half dozen times in the last week-------it's the same answer everytime----move the peep up.
If i move my peep i move my anchor points, correct? i anchor with a kisser, string to nose, and index finger knuckle under my ear lobe.

And i realize this question has risen multiple times, but couldn't find the answers i was looking for through the searching i did.

· Huntin' MO Woods
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's me at full draw. i had my brother take 3 seperate pics to make sure i was the same everytime, and they all looked like duplicates.the only thing i see is maybe dropping my release arm would help. i know it's level and straight, but looks like i'm holding it high.

· Registered
55,421 Posts
Your peep is too low I can see it in the picture plain as day. Also looks like your kisser is too low. Put your kisser about a thumb width up from the top of the loop then reset your peep after you have put the sight back to neutral.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.