Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am going to be ordering a black gold sight offline so i can get it custom, i am thinking of going with one that has a 2 inch sight housing (to make more room for pins) , and a dovetail (not sure either 4 or 6") which is nice because i can fine tune the length. i was wondering what size peep i will need? right now i shoot a smaller peep (maybe 1/8???? shoot i cant remember) , with my set up and it fits around my truglo carbon xs sight perfectly without being an issue at low light, but i was thinking due to the dovetail i might be ok? i like to have the peep outline the sight housing. i am shooting a hoyt alphaburner 30 inch draw, so i think with the added length of the dovetail my peep might be fine? any ideas? im on the fence about the size i need. any help is greatly appreciated. i dont want to spend a bunch of money and end up with the wrong size.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I would say 1/4" for the 2" sight housing 3/16" might work but I would go with a 1/4" I would rather have a little bigger peep with a tiny bit of room around it due to being able to gather more light in low light conditions

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinking too, but ive never had a dovetail. im wondering if due to the added length a little smaller may help?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
IDK I don't think that will change any thing unless you are talking about the sight ring then you might want to go with a 1-3/4" sight ring if you are mostly hunting I personaly would go with the larger but I am just a hunter and do very little 3d shooting and am not a professional

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i meant the peep may need to be smaller cuz of the added four or six inches from the dovetail. i wish i was really good at math, id figure it out lickety split lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i think i have it figured right now. if i have a 30 inch draw, the sight mounts at around 8 inches, the pins will effectively be 37-38 inches away from my face right? so if the pin guard which i have now is 1.8 inchesa and fits into a 1/8 peep perfectly now, i will be fine with the 1/8 peep and the added length if the housing is 13/4 or 2inches. i may havea little wiggle room, but i guess i may end up with a different peep size. i might actually have to go with a .19 pin for the top one cuz itll be way out there haha. god i love archery, but it is soooo spendy! thank god this is my xmas present to myself lol

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use a 3/16" peep for a 1 5/8" housing. It fits perfect and still gathers plenty of light.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
I have a new BG sight with a 2" housing and 4" dovetail due here anyway. I have two Titan peeps to see which one will work best with it; 5/16 & 1/4".

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I have the 2" housing on my sight. I use a 1/4" peep. It's the perfect size.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
draw length 30 inch ata is 34.75 and sight extension will be up to 6 inches. id like the 2 inch housing i think, due to the added room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts