Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone here sights-in their bow to account for a deer ducking at the shot. A friend of mine would aim at the midline of our 3D Buck, but had his sights set so that the arrow was 4" or 5" (approx) lower than that. He figured if it didn't drop, he still had a heart shot. We had watched tons of hunting videos, and on the shot replay, all the deer seemed to react in some way. Some severely dropped.

Anyhow, i have mine to hit where my pin is, and i'm wondering if i should adjust it a little.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I would rather have my sights dead on to yardage settings I was familiar with and can relate to under pressure. I dont need to be thinking " Ok the deer is 31, I'm 4" low at 20, carry the one,......???":confused: :wink:

What happens when he needs that exact aiming capability to shoot through a small opening or over a single limb?

No thanks, I want to know the arrow is hitting where I'm aiming and I'll do any compensating on my own if I think th eanimal is a little jumpy.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I'd say you better have it setup to hit right on the money unless you don't mind shooting under targets that don't duck. If an animal appears nervous and that it might duck just aim lower to compansate.

·
11,954 Posts
I used to know a guy who would site his bow in low for "string jump". I always thought it was kind of wierd. Me personally, I want my setup shooting exactly, and I mean exactly, where I am aiming. That way I can eliminate all possible variables when it comes to my equipment.

But I am anal like that.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Not me. I want mine on the money. My theory is too air for the heart, if they duck you will get lung.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts