Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a target shooter, not a hunter, but I’ve seen several posts where people mention sight lights and lasers being illegal for hunting. However, no one has ever mentioned why. Why are these things illegal in certain provinces/states?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Lots of rules for hunting with archery equipment.
Different states have different people making the rules. Those people have differing opinions on what "archery hunting" ought to be, and what " traditional methods" should include.
Same for muzzleloading rifles.

Some states do not allow crossbow hunting.
Some do not allow mechanical broadheads.
Lights, lasers, hell... many states regulate how much let off your bow can have. Too much let off can make your entire bow illegal to hunt with.

There is no " here is why" its different. Different strokes for different folks. And the folks making the rules get to choose.

·
Registered
50,344 Posts
Those rules exist because people do not understand them or how archery has evolved. Most of those rules are hold overs from back in the recurve, longbow days. They think it gives the archer a big advantage, not really.
Of you think it is unfair, then start to get things changed.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I’m a target shooter, not a hunter, but I’ve seen several posts where people mention sight lights and lasers being illegal for hunting. However, no one has ever mentioned why. Why are these things illegal in certain provinces/states?
It's a great question. Not real sure, but I'm going to speculate anyway!

I suppose that, as Dale said, a lot of those rules are hold overs or just outdated.

Maybe an example would be a crossbow hunter with a $3,000 Flir Thermal scope, 1,000FPS with bolts that shoot out giant sky Flares. Oh and Predator tri-laser/alien translucent camo armor.

There was a guy in my neighborhood that won some award for killing the biggest bear (like 550lbs?) in Arkansas. They took away the award when they found out he had used a lighted nock, then gave it back a year or less later after they changed the laws. Go figure.

·
Registered
23,228 Posts
I have been shooting MBG sights the past year as the pins are the brightest I have found.....especially during the winter when I shoot in the church gym next door with average lighting. When used outdoors, I can see my pin beyond the point where I can easily discern an aiming spot on a target. However inside a blind, the limited amount of ambient light can make it tough to see a pin contrasting against an animal while hunting and the use of a light makes sense. As others mentioned, the "rules" that limit such things are often based on traditional archery trying to limit the upper end of archery technology. Funny thing is that I shot and hunted with recurves for over 30 years and could shoot in lower light without a sight than I can with one! Although I don't use them, is seeing your nock in flight such a "bad" thing??? The letoff regulations are also outdated, but I have no issue with an 80% letoff for shooting form. :noidea::noidea:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wait till they will ban the highly dangerous, military assault style, high capacity, fully semi auto bows. Then I'm retiring from hunting.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wait till they will ban the highly dangerous, military assault style, high capacity, fully semi auto bows. Then I'm retiring from hunting.
Lol.

·
Registered
851 Posts
is seeing your nock in flight such a "bad" thing??? :noidea::noidea:
Yeah, it's very very, er, bad??

I guess whoever makes/updates these laws are thinking more about finding the kill? Would a hunting arrow go through a 550lb bear? dunno. dunno.

I mean, I suppose it's unhonest, but who needs to know your pins were lighted? Rheostats do turn off. Also remove completely!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts