Archery Talk Forum banner

Sight out of adjustment

810 Views 13 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ceebee
hey guys i just bought a new katera last week, i got it shooting nice groups, but i can't slide my to the right anymore with out it falling off. is there something i have screw up or do you think the sight is just made that way and i need to put spacers intween the riser and my sight mount?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Have you shot it through paper?

My guess is that your center shot might be off.

Or spacers would be an option but it seems that you should be able to get it to work.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
My guess is that your center shot might be off.

Or spacers would be an option but it seems that you should be able to get it to work.
I would agree. The center shot is probably off. If that is not the case, then the sight would probably need spacers. You can shoot it through paper, but I would do a walk back tuning. Take a look at this thread http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=454036

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a walk back tune the other day. shot a couple arrows at 10,20 and 30 yards and arrow we're really close to being perfectly vertical. when i paper tuned it i had a couple bullet holes, but also had some that tore in different directions, no real conisatancy in the tear. arrow flies straight in flight and seems to be stopping in the target at 90 degrees, no realy "cocking" when i pull them out.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Also i'm shoot a wisker bisket, so would that have anything to do with the tears not being the same in the paper? i got it to about 3 in groups at 30 yards.
Maybe but I would doubt it. If your fletchings are all in good shape then you should be able to get consistent tears in paper with a WB.

You are probably causing the inconsistencies in the tear. I don't mean that offensively but its real easy to put a little torque on the bow and not realize it.

Have a buddy shoot your bow through the paper and see what happens.

· Registered
8,748 Posts
Just for the heck of it, as you have someone hold your bow nock an arrow. Then without drawing the bow, measure with a tape measure from the inside edge of the riser to the dead center of the arrow. My guess is that the measurement is going to be less than 3/4". To me it sounds like your center shot is way off. If the measurement is less than 3/4", adjust the rest to make the 3/4" and try shooting your bow. Then fine tune your center shot from there. On all the bows I have tuned in the past 6 years 3/4" is a great starting place.

Let us know what you come up with.

Dick

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, so i didn't read the last post till now, but over lunch we turn the bow 90 degrees and laid it so it was laying horz. on out surface plate. used parralells to make sure it was level, measure the distance to the top of the limbs on both ends to double check level-ness. then we measure the arrow at the nock and then to the tip. it wasn't level so we moved the rest away from the riser until the arrow was as close to being the same measurement front to tip. my question is on hoyts should the arrow be like that or is it suppose to be point in towards the riser or away from the riser a little bit. i know when holding the bow vertically you want the arrow running down just a touch. but i'm talkin side to side, you want it as straight as possible correct?

· Registered
455 Posts
PIN, I'm guessing you are shooting with fingers. If this is right , you want your nock point just a little high from level and your arrow inside just a small bit. half the shaft width or less depending on arrow spine. If you are shooting with a release set it up, nocking point ninty degrees to string and center shaft with string. Then do walk back and fine tune. Are you shooting with cock vane up?
Charlie

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charlie,
i'm shooting with a release, and been shooting with cock vane down. so then if center of shaft straight with string, the way i have it set up now should be a close. it didn't seem to shoot to bad before until yesterday when i shot it. so i changed everything today. thanks for the help everyone

regards,
Kyle

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Charlie,
i'm shooting with a release, and been shooting with cock vane down. so then if center of shaft straight with string, the way i have it set up now should be a close. it didn't seem to shoot to bad before until yesterday when i shot it. so i changed everything today. thanks for the help everyone

regards,
Kyle
This might cause some problems with a WB. Not saying that this is what is happening right now with the sight but I think you need to shoot cock vane up out of a WB

· Registered
455 Posts
Pin, the arrows should be shot with the cock feather up. The darker colored bristles at the bottom are stiffer than the rest of them and will cause a little interference problem. You may notice the cock vane being a little wavey or dark marks caused by passing through the stiffer portion.
Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.