Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks. I have a hoyt r3 with a black gold slider sight. It's a 31inch axel to axel bow. The bow is amazing except for one, pretty major issue. The bulge in the riser obstructs about 1/3rd of my sight picture.

When sighting in my 20 yard, the shots were high and I had to pretty much max out the height of my slider sight to the very top. It's now so high that the riser obstructs the view. I can't seem to find a way to have the sight so it's a little lower for my 20 yard shot so it's picture is not blocked by the bulge in the riser.

The only thing I can think of is lower the peep. Which helps a bit, but I cant lower it any more otherwise my anchor and everything is thrown off and I'd be hunching down to try and line it up with the sight. My peep is about 6 1/8" from the top of the D loop.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? How I can have the sight mounted lower for my 20 yard? Only other solution I can think of is getting a longer axel to axel bow with a more flat riser design (i.e. mathews).

Pics attached of what I typically will see in sight picture while at full draw.
29" draw, 6' tall.

Attachments

·
(aka lug nut)
50,107 Posts
Hey folks. I have a hoyt r3 with a black gold slider sight. It's a 31inch axel to axel bow. The bow is amazing except for one, pretty major issue. The bulge in the riser obstructs about 1/3rd of my sight picture.

When sighting in my 20 yard, the shots were high and I had to pretty much max out the height of my slider sight to the very top. It's now so high that the riser obstructs the view. I can't seem to find a way to have the sight so it's a little lower for my 20 yard shot so it's picture is not blocked by the bulge in the riser.

The only thing I can think of is lower the peep. Which helps a bit, but I cant lower it any more otherwise my anchor and everything is thrown off and I'd be hunching down to try and line it up with the sight. My peep is about 6 1/8" from the top of the D loop.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? How I can have the sight mounted lower for my 20 yard? Only other solution I can think of is getting a longer axel to axel bow with a more flat riser design (i.e. mathews).

Pics attached of what I typically will see in sight picture while at full draw.
Photo of you at full draw. Dead level arrow. No hat, no long sleeves, no jacket.
Wear shoes. Tape/clamp camera to a ladder, so camera phone lens is at your arrow height.
Slide ladder far away enough, that the camera phone can see the ground, your shoes, all of you and all of the bow.

Like this.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Insane. I have the same bow and my sight picture is nowhere near the riser. Just commenting so i can follow the post. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insane. I have the same bow and my sight picture is nowhere near the riser. Just commenting so i can follow the post. Good luck!
Thanks! May I ask, how far does your peep measure from the top of your D loop?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
It looks like you must have a very, very low anchor with the way that is set up. I would also be curious to see a picture at full draw.

·
Registered
Bowtech Revolt X
222 Posts
low anchor, high peep... Look for the positives!.. you'll be able to shoot out to 200yds with that slider!.. haha!.. hope you get it figured out. I'd be interested to see you at full draw as well. gotta have an odd anchor point.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Is your nocking point crazy high? If it is, you could lower it so the arrow runs straight through the rest hole. Obviously, you’d lower the rest to get your tune back and then you’d have to accommodate and move the sight lower.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is your nocking point crazy high? If it is, you could lower it so the arrow runs straight through the rest hole. Obviously, you’d lower the rest to get your tune back and then you’d have to accommodate and move the sight lower.
It would actually imply the nock point is crazy low. Causing the arrow to point abnormally high...

OP is the bow tuned up good?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Low d loop or anchor point??? Sorry anchor point I’m thinking kisser/ nose button.... or string across corner of mouth which I’m saying would be highly making the peep high moving the sight high.
When I think of anchor point, I think of where your hand sits in relation to your face.
All of the accessories that attach to your string are just reference points and their location is determined by your anchor point.

·
Registered
Hoyt RX-3 29”, 70#, Fast Eddie double pin, Hamskea pro hunter
55 Posts
Does sight run parallel with limb, Hoyt had a defect with rx3 that caused sights to angle out away from riser, had same issue with mine, they made a sight mount plate as a fix, installed one and fixed the problem, although mine was less of a height issue and more left to right

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Photo of you at full draw. Dead level arrow. No hat, no long sleeves, no jacket.
Wear shoes. Tape/clamp camera to a ladder, so camera phone lens is at your arrow height.
Slide ladder far away enough, that the camera phone can see the ground, your shoes, all of you and all of the bow.

Like this.
@nuts&bolts Here's my draw.
Perhaps the shape of my face and how it impacts the string could be coming into play here.
My prominent greek heritage nose 😂 may be impacting the string up higher up, causing a high peep...Not too sure though.Looking forward to the feedback of others.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
How's the arrow flight? Any chance something's messed up with the rest, maybe fletching contact and kicking the arrow up, causing it to hit high at 20 yards?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts