Archery Talk Forum banner

Sight Problem

699 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  TnScott
I am shooting a Matthews FX with a Trophy Ridge Matrix sight. When looking through my peep I can only see 5 oclock to 1 oclock on my sight. The rest is hidden behind the riser. This limits my line of sight. Anyone have a solution to this problem? John
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Have you checked the center shot on your bow. It sounds like it could be off not letting you see the whole site picture. Try group tuning to see if you need to move the rest.
_________________"Group Tuning ______________________
Bow Tuning 3: Tuning for groups Most tuning check are checks for alignment and clean arrow flight. The following exercises
demonstrate some tests used in tuning directly for group size. They are sometimes called ‘micro tuning’ tests. Because each test is based on observation of group size changes, the tests cannot
be used easily as quick checks on setup; use other tests (parts 1 and 2) for that. To tune for group size typically takes an hour or more in addition to setting up targets etc. 1 Short distance fine tuning For the present exercise, carry out ONE of the following checks: 1.1 Vertical tuning (Example: Nocking point) i) Measure your nocking point height. Shoot fletched shafts along the top of
a target face or other straight line. Note the height of the resulting group. relative positions of bare and fletched shafts
(use the ‘targets’ below). Repeat to confirm if necessary. Note ‘flyers’ separately; they may be influenced differently by micro tuning. ii) Move the nocking point by not more than 3mm (1mm is the normal recommendation). Either direction will do; upwards is often considered ‘safer’. Repeat the check, recording (on the target or using the sheet overleaf) the group height. Is there a visible change? If the group is worse, move the nocking point back the other way; if better, continue in the same direction.
iii) Continue adjusting in the ‘favourable’ direction until the group worsens. iv) Set the nocking point height to the ‘best’ setting.
Note: Vertical tuning can also be used to tune tiller, arrow rest height or any other ‘vertical’ adjustment. 1.2 Horizontal tuning (Example: Button tension) i) Write down the present button setting. Shoot groups alon

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Have you checked the center shot on your bow. It sounds like it could be off not letting you see the whole site picture. Try group tuning to see if you need to move the rest.
_________________"Group Tuning ______________________
Bow Tuning 3: Tuning for groups Most tuning check are checks for alignment and clean arrow flight. The following exercises
demonstrate some tests used in tuning directly for group size. They are sometimes called ‘micro tuning’ tests. Because each test is based on observation of group size changes, the tests cannot
be used easily as quick checks on setup; use other tests (parts 1 and 2) for that. To tune for group size typically takes an hour or more in addition to setting up targets etc. 1 Short distance fine tuning For the present exercise, carry out ONE of the following checks: 1.1 Vertical tuning (Example: Nocking point) i) Measure your nocking point height. Shoot fletched shafts along the top of
a target face or other straight line. Note the height of the resulting group. relative positions of bare and fletched shafts
(use the ‘targets’ below). Repeat to confirm if necessary. Note ‘flyers’ separately; they may be influenced differently by micro tuning. ii) Move the nocking point by not more than 3mm (1mm is the normal recommendation). Either direction will do; upwards is often considered ‘safer’. Repeat the check, recording (on the target or using the sheet overleaf) the group height. Is there a visible change? If the group is worse, move the nocking point back the other way; if better, continue in the same direction.
iii) Continue adjusting in the ‘favourable’ direction until the group worsens. iv) Set the nocking point height to the ‘best’ setting.
Note: Vertical tuning can also be used to tune tiller, arrow rest height or any other ‘vertical’ adjustment. 1.2 Horizontal tuning (Example: Button tension) i) Write down the present button setting. Shoot groups along a vertical line (face edge or line).
Note the group width. (the spaces below may help). ii) Increase button tension 1/4 turn and repeat. If the group improves, continue increasing the tension; if it gets worse, move back the other way. iii) Continue adjusting in the ‘better’ direction until the group worsens iv) set the tension to the ‘best’ group size.
Note: Horizontal tuning can also be used to tune pressure button position (in/out), bracing height, or any other ‘horizontal’ adjustment. 2 Paper plate tuning Choose an adjustment (e.g. nocking point height, tiller (in adjuster turns) etc. Mark up about five or six plates with adjustment values (see figure below). Simply set the adjustment to each value and shoot 20-30 arrows at each plate. After checking the plates, set the adjustment for the best group size. Figure: Plates marked for nocking point tune
I have attached the pictures to go with this article. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown

:D

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Here are the pictures top go with the article on Group Tuning I just posted:
Derbytown :D

· Registered
2,564 Posts
I also shot the FX. Sounds like your center shot is off. i belive approximate center shot is 13/16 off the riser and then fine tune. The FX has a short sight window so your 20 yard pin will be close to the upper limb pocket so you'll have to play with the vertical sight to get it like you want. Think you'll enjoy this bow as it's pretty smooth and quiet.

· Registered
952 Posts
I would say your centershot is way off .

I just shot my new FX yesterday for the first time ,and it was dead on . Looking down the arrow shaft from the back , and eyeballing the string in the center of the grip , I made sure I had my centershot adjusted dead center of the end of the arrow , and the sight pins slightly outside of the arrow when looking down the shaft , to get started .

It ended up being perfect as far as windage , and I made some minor sight adjustments for elevation . Easiest setup I have ever experienced with a new bow. I still plan on paper tuning it to fine tune it .

· Registered
952 Posts
All I can add is to try the above information that was given to you and go from there , or take it in to your proshop and see if it is setup properly for you . You might need to have someone watch you shoot .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.