Archery Talk Forum banner

Sight question

364 3
Went for my first serious 3D shoot of the season today and ran into an issue. I have a Sword Twilight Hunter on my bow for now with .019" pins. I was having issues with them being too bright and "star bursting" on me. They don't have a heck of a lot of fiber (less than 6") on them to gather light, but they were too much in 98% of the shots. Should I switch to smaller pins, cut some length off the fibers, wrap them in electrical tape? I do intend on switching to a Hogg-It hunter on my primary bow in a month or so, but I need the Sword for my back up bow and the pins aren't going to change on a different bow.
Thanks for the advice in advance.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,439 Posts
That's a pretty interesting dilemma. Your options on the Sword sight are: 1) shorten the fibers; 2) cover the exposed portion of the fibers; 3) change fibers to a type or color that doesn't transmit as much light. Given that you'll be using your bow for both 3-D and hunting, option 2 is probably the best choice. Options 1 and 3 are more permanent and what would work well for daylight shooting for 3-D might not be as useful for hunting situations.

· I like shiny stuff.
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which colors don't transmit as much light? I really don't like red pins, though.

· Registered
33 Posts
out of the three main colors they make pins out of: green, red, and yellow... i have found that the yellow fiber is the one that doesn't transmit as much light.. my buddy just got a sword twilight hunter, and when he turns his sight light on, the green and red pins light up much more than the yellow one... just an opinion though.. if i were you, i would cover up the part of the sight that contains the extra fiber optic so the sight doesnt transmit as much light

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.