Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get a new sight in the coming months. The sight i have on my bow now is a TR outlaw. I cant make up my mind if i want a single pin or a multi. Dont have anyone that i could borrow a single pin to see if i will even like it. I dont have a ton of money to dump into a sight either. Any tips or advice?

·
Registered
24,089 Posts
I hunted with recurves for over 30 years and returned to compounds in 2010 due to a draw shoulder issue. Gear had made incredible strides in the span of time between shooting compounds and I did a lot of experimenting with every facet of modern archery tackle as I decided on the best gear for me. I tried a wide variety of sights and found that each design offers strengths and drawbacks. Single pin sights are uncluttered, but also require pin gapping or adjustment (slider or wheel design) for optimal accuracy. Multiple pin sights offer the advantage of a variety of distance options on the fly, if you know the distance to your target and don't get confused in the heat of the moment during a shot. The best for me is a two pin scope on a slider frame (CBE Tek Hunter Pro) that allows me to be sighted in at 20 and 35 which are my core hunting distances. Yet with the turn of a knob I can adjust my pins to longer distances, which typically happens while shooting longer ranges in backyard practice. I got my CBE late this summer and have hunted with it all season with growing appreciation for the design. Only you can determine which design will suit your tastes the best, but it is likely that you will try some options before determining your favorite.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I shot a single pin sight for several years. Having it set a 20 yds I learned how to hold on deer out to 30 yds and be spot on. I have shot a few deer past 30 yds over the years but only a very few.
About 6/7 yrs ago I put a multi-pin sight on bow. I've got pins set at 20,40,50.
With the speed we're getting out of bows today I really see no need for a 30 yd pin, just clutter to me. I use my 20 yd pin out past 30yds just hold above center on deer. Let the broadhead do the rest.
Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
I'm a fan of multi pin sights. I have tried single pin sliders and they are not for me. Others really like them. My go to sight is Sword. If you decide to go the multi pin route I would take a look at them. Imo the best sight out there for the money. I have shot many of the big names and they are my favorite.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
What kind of hunting do you do? What is your average shot distance? Could always go with a 3 pin slider and have the capability of both fixed and adjustable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts