Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I was trying to get a sight tape I already had one program and I have printed some good tapes in the past.

Now to the rest of the story:

I had great marks out to 80yard went in to input and print me a tape and my program told me some numbers that were not even close ……

Frustrated I went back to the range and reshot all my marks again and got the same marks.

Re-input the marks in again and same thing .

I get on line and buy another program and input same marks exact same set up .

WOW different marks and they were right so I am thinking ok ( Head scratching)

Now I am curious I download a free demo and input the same marks and different marks .

So than yesterday I need to get a sight tape for a different sight (same bow different scope power) and I get marks out to 60 yard and input them and different FPS so I am lost as to which one to use. So out side I go with both sights in had and I shoot both and both are on the money……….

Bottom line I am just going to shoot them as they are>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

One thing I know is math is a constant so I am asking has anyone else had this problem with sight tape programs.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
get a good 30 and a good 80, go from there. The program doesn't care what the chrono says, it will go off your marks.

If you input chrono fps and one mark you'll be chasing your tail for weeks.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have a feeling that the inaccurate marks and speeds based on marks you got was from the latest version of OT2 and the good ones you got were from AA or another one.

Your problems sound so much like mine as of late.

If that's the case the only answer I've found is not trying to figure out what's up with OT2. Use the one that's giving you good info and put in good info and you'll get good info.

My marks from AA lately have been better than any I've had. Too bad I currently just have the Palm version and can't make a tape out of it. I had to abandon OT2 and am currently using a tape that came with my CBE bar. It's far and away closer than the last run of tapes I made with OT2. Last year I made several tapes with OT2 and they were great, within a half yard at any and all distances and most of the time closer than that. I've ran a couple of updates since then and now it's not even close.

My latest one was made by using my chrono speed (cross checked on two chronos) and perfectly exact peep height (measured with dial calipers) and sight radius measurements. To hit at 50 yards the tape read 47 yards. It got way worse at longer distances.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
hmm that's odd because what I did is I just got a good 20 yard mark then just started guessing the 60 yard untill it told me the correct speed and now it's dead on. If it's dead on but wrong speed though just use it like that.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
I am also guessing that you are using OT2.....

They have royally screwed up the tape part of the program :doh: I have been using OT2 for the past 4 years....and loved it. Not so much anymore :eek:

Tony...what's up with a version of TAP for the BlackBerry? :)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Nothing beats the pencil and shooting.Is everyone afraid of some work nowadays or what? I rely more on my arrow that is sitting in the X than the computer thats says it should be there.IMO LOL

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Nothing beats the pencil and shooting.Is everyone afraid of some work nowadays or what? I rely more on my arrow that is sitting in the X than the computer thats says it should be there.IMO LOL
Afraid of work? Nope. It's just that, like 99.99% of the rest of the humans on earth, I like to play more.

You make your pencil marks and I'll start with my Palm and I'll buy you a pop at the practice butts as I come back by the range when I'm done shooting my round. :wink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is what made me crazy

I got great 20,30,40,50,60,70 80, and than input and got crazy reading and did it again and got the same than I bought a differnt program and down loaded a trial.

I just was trying ot find out if I was the only one and I guess I am not ..when i get home i will post the 3 I have and which one worked and which one did not .....It is just math and it is constant so they should all be the same.

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
If you guys are using OT2, does your status bar at the lower left look like this...if not toggle the buttons until is does.

If you're using a chrono, try letting the program determine the velocity from marks or pin gaps. The marks work if you have a manufacturer scale, the pin gap method works if you're measuring 2 pin gaps or 2 mark gaps with a micrometer or dial caliper.

Either way, the program calculated velocity may or may not agree with your chrono, but the marks generated should be solid. First mark or pin should be at least 30yds for best results. You can use a 20 but you need to be very exact. Most target sights today are capable of moving multiple clicks and still have the arrow impact inside the Vegas "X". It's much harder to fudge marks at longer distances.

If anyone is using OT2 and is experiencing what they condsider to be odd results, you can always e-mail or phone. [email protected] and [email protected] pinwheelsoftware.com both will go direct to my inbox. Phone is on the website.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called home to get the programs used and here they are

the one that worked is Archers Advantage Input the marks and it spit out sight marks great.

TAP was close but a click here and there it was off and ( don't want to be a click or 2 off anywhere when i am shooting 80yrds and such

the OT2 is the one I used for several tapes over the years and it worked good enofe for me but . NOt for this field set up..

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
the one that worked is Archers Advantage Input the marks and it spit out sight marks great.

TAP was close but a click here and there it was off and ( don't want to be a click or 2 off anywhere when i am shooting 80yrds and such

the OT2 is the one I used for several tapes over the years and it worked good enofe for me but . NOt for this field set up..
What sight are you using? If it is a SureLoc you might want to check the accurcy of your scale. I have on my website new scales you can download and print.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Copper John ANTS 3D Evo2 Right handed

one thing that I found was differnt my one field scope is 4 X and my other is 2x 6in the middle could this be making a differce ???????????????//

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
one thing that I found was differnt my one field scope is 4 X and my other is 2x 6in the middle could this be making a differce ???????????????//
Lenses do indeed refrect light, which in turn can effect the image your eye will see. In TAP did you select Copper John Ants?

·
Archery Talk Sponsor
3,557 Posts
Are the lenses magnifying a stationary pin or do you have rings or dots placed on the lense?

If rings or dots, are the lenses indexed with a mark so you place them in the lens the same each time?

If you rotate a lense 90 degrees in the scope do you see vertical or horizontal impact difference on the target?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have several sights

I just grabed my other sight I know if you rotate your lens it makes a differnce ....

I have 2 differnt sights same bow same arrows same everything just differnt sight bar and scope.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts