Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting a 573gr arrow. Using feathers and light shaft, I am around 22-23% FOC. The sight tape for my Black Gold is the 258fps tape. I dont actually know my velocity. Just have not checked it, as it tends to lead to chasing #'s. Anyway, my 20-60 yard marks are dead on, but beyond that they dont drop as fast as the sight tape marks. At 70 yards its about the 68.5 mark, and at 80 its at the 77 yard mark. Is it usual for an arrow to not drop as fast? I know I can get custom sight tapes made, but I will never take a shot that far at an animal. Probably wont shoot one past 40. Too much can happen at those distances with white tails. I am curious to see if this is the norm. I have two bows that do this with feathers. I have not shot vanes with my heavy arrows. I might do an experiment. I do remember when comparing 400 gr arrows, the feathers had a lower impact at 40 yards and beyond. Just trying to wrap my head around the physics of it.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,474 Posts
you said
"Shooting feathers At 70 yards its about the 68.5 mark, and at 80 its at the 77 yard mark.
I do remember when comparing 400 gr arrows, the feathers had a lower impact at 40 yards and beyond"

Now with your heavy arrows it is the opposite?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Heavy arrows maintain velocity down range better than light arrows.
At least that’s what I always see.

5-6yrs ago when I was slinging light fast arrows I’d always had to start adding yardage to my tape after 55yds or so.

Another interesting thing I found this year is my 250fps 615gr arrows this year need a mbg 262fps tape while last year on the exact same bow, sight, peep to pin and shaft measurements my 277fps 494gr arrows needed the 277fps mbg tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heavy arrows maintain velocity down range better than light arrows.
At least that’s what I always see.

5-6yrs ago when I was slinging light fast arrows I’d always had to start adding yardage to my tape after 55yds or so.

Another interesting thing I found this year is my 250fps 615gr arrows this year need a mbg 262fps tape while last year on the exact same bow, sight, peep to pin and shaft measurements my 277fps 494gr arrows needed the 277fps mbg tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen that too. Last year My velocity was less than the required tape.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you said
"Shooting feathers At 70 yards its about the 68.5 mark, and at 80 its at the 77 yard mark.
I do remember when comparing 400 gr arrows, the feathers had a lower impact at 40 yards and beyond"

Now with your heavy arrows it is the opposite?
Yes. I noticed with lighter arrows in the past, the feathers slowed them down faster at distances. Which makes sense, less weight up front along with the increased drag of the feathers slowed the arrow at a faster rate.

More momentum wins!

·
Registered
458 Posts
If 20-60 is on, just cover the sight tape beyond 60 with some blank sight tape and make your own marks.
I personally always just use blank sight tape and mark it up myself. I use a pencil rather than pen and don't even cover the marks with anything. Many 3d shoots in the rain and no problems losing the marks.

·
Registered
Mathews HalonX 70 Lbs 28.5 draw 670 grain gold tip single bevel Tuffheads
858 Posts
Try 30 yards and 60 works for me, 652 grain 27% Foc, wont work for all but give it a try, Good luck !!!

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
In this case you NEED that information you think is leading you to chasing numbers. If you know the bows REAL speed then you get a sight tape for that speed. Or, you shoot the sight tapes until it matches you POI.

What you don't want to do IMO is what you are doing and thinking it's more complicated and an arrow or FOC issue.....it's not you just don't have the right sight tape for you FPS.

My hunch is you like the way the bow shoots but if you chrono it then you might change your mind if you see it's only shooting 237 or so..........lol. Just don't let that get to you and press on.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,793 Posts
If 20-60 is on, just cover the sight tape beyond 60 with some blank sight tape and make your own marks.
I personally always just use blank sight tape and mark it up myself. I use a pencil rather than pen and don't even cover the marks with anything. Many 3d shoots in the rain and no problems losing the marks.
I don't think they are really on though......trajectory should be trajectory which is how they are able to do the whole tape thing to being with. They are just so close he can't tell at the closer ranges and it's more noticeable at longer ranges I bet. He can do that but the better choice is get it exactly right at every distance not just at some IMO.

You see this a lot at 20 yards.......people have a 20 that might be 18 or 22 because it's hard to tell that close.....and then they question their gaps between the 30 & 40 based on that discrepancy.......it should flow evenly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think they are really on though......trajectory should be trajectory which is how they are able to do the whole tape thing to being with. They are just so close he can't tell at the closer ranges and it's more noticeable at longer ranges I bet. He can do that but the better choice is get it exactly right at every distance not just at some IMO.

You see this a lot at 20 yards.......people have a 20 that might be 18 or 22 because it's hard to tell that close.....and then they question their gaps between the 30 & 40 based on that discrepancy.......it should flow evenly.
Thats what I thought. Several years ago i made photo copies of the MBG sight tapes so i could plug and play to find the best one. So, what I did was I found that my 20-60 was dead on with the 258 tape. As I went further out i noticed my impacts were high. Like 18" at 80 yards. So then I started moving up in sight tapes. I went all the way to like 264 and found that my 80 was close, but my 30 yard pin was 4-5" low. Then I worked back down and ended back up at the 258 before my 30 yard mark was dead on again. Since most of my shooting is just prepping for hunting season, i figure I can just remember what I need to be on at longer ranges. I might convince myself to do a custom tape at some point.

And yes, if I do go custom route on tapes i will check my velocity. Also, this is a brand new revolt x. I always do my own tuning etc. except when I buy a new bow. I take the complimentary setup and let the strings stretch before i get to really tuning. Anyway, its a 70lb bow and i checked the draw weight...its only 66.5 lbs. Limbs are maxed. I did not ask what it was drawing at the shop a couple weeks ago. I need to look into that. My whole trajectory could change if I need to twist cables etc.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If a heavy arrow carries its velocity further, will a 400 gr arrow at 275 fps and a 700 gr arrow at 275 fps have the same POI at 80 yds? And do they take this into account when making tapes?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have the same problem with my 68 lb Vertix, 27.5" draw and 508 grain arrow. It's right on to 60 then high at 70. I have to make custom marks for 70 and 80.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts