Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sighting in my bow today at the pro shop. I put a target pin at face level. After shooting 6 arrows the guy behind the counter said I should lower my target to about 3-4 feet off the ground and then sight it in? "Why?" I asked? If you are hunting mule deer (yes, he knows my winter plans) and are hunting off the ground the kill zone of most mule deer is between 3-4 feet high. If you are sighting your bow face level you will most hit high at longer distances.

This was such a no brainer but something I've never considered. Now I know I am at the right height I can really practice distance shots shooting up hill and down hill more confidentally.

Just sharing the wealth of info.

·
Registered
621 Posts
dont think so

I should not matter what the height off the ground your target is. if you are sighted in for the horizontal distance the difference of face to ground level is none. Your guy is thinking too much.
jon

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
KCJON said:
I should not matter what the height off the ground your target is. if you are sighted in for the horizontal distance the difference of face to ground level is none. Your guy is thinking too much.
jon
I've got to agree! Last year I shot a mule deer buck at 55 yds and practiced on a target that was 2 foot high all year. Arrow went right where I aimed!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That's got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard. An arrow has a given trajectory regardless of whether it's 3 feet off the gound or 5 feet off the ground.

If this was true there must be millions of archers (including pro's) who sight their bows in wrong :wink:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well,another archery myth is born,there's more myths in archery and bowhunting than ancient greek literature.I swear,some folks must sit up nights dreamin up this stuff.

·
74,535 Posts
Do what

Are we talking one pin :mg:

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Actually, I think the pro shop guy is thinking too much but is also correct. I think the margin of error is so minor that a given shooter won't notice the difference between shooting at a 2 foot high target and a 4 foot high target.

Here is a similar question that always comes up...

If you are shooting from an elevated position, say 20 feet up and the target is 20 feet lower than you are. Do you change your point of aim?

How about if you are shooting at a target that is 20 feet higher up (say a hilltop). Do you change your point of aim?

So now, if you are shooting level for your body/height/form/position, then where would the target be? Say for most of us it is right below the shoulder so take roughly 2 feet off your own height.

So for me, that would be roughly 4 feet. If I am shooting at a target that is 2 feet off the ground, then technically I am shooting on a downward angle.

Over an infinite distance, is there a difference between aiming at 4 feet and aiming 2 feet (lower)?

How about aiming at 40 feet at a target straight out vs one 20 feet lower?

See what I'm getting at?

There is a difference, I just think at the distances we shoot in conjunction with the minor difference in elevation between 2 and 4 feet, that this difference is negligible and considered moot.

P.S. Isn't this what the 3rd axis is all about in respect to elevation with pro shooters? (Although I could be wrong there, I haven't really read into the 3rd axis, just going based on skimming and the various sight designs I've seen pitching this term) I would say many of them are considering this difference when shooting extended ranges, however minor it may be.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
over the past couple of days this thread has been on my mind, i have beencontemplating this question back and form and came to a conclusion.

YES your pro shop is correct, but like bowhunterNJ said at 40yds a 2 foot difference in target hieght is splitting hairs.

the more downward angle you shoot the flatter the trajectory of the arrow will be. when the arrow travels downward gravity works with the arrow to help maintain its speed, its kind like the arrow is traveling downhill. i know all of you hunters have experienced this, you sight in at 20 30 40 yards and the climb up to your stand and you are shooting high, it has nothing to do with your form.

lets change the scenario, lets say you are now shooting uphill at a quite steep angle, your arrow will hit low, gravity is not working against your arrows speed which will greatly effect its trajectory.

it makes perfect sense in my mind but i am not sure if i explain it very well.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Hahahaha....

:shade: Dumbest thing I've ever heard!!!! hahahahaha

OK here is a test.... take your laser rangefinder, set one target at eye level and the other at 2-3 ft off the ground. Go back to some practice distance and lase away at both of them. Come back and tell us the results. :D

I already know the answer, but you can do it if you feel like wasting the time. Idiots.... :thumbs_do

I'm gettin outta here... it's time for a :beer: :beer: :beer:

-ZA206

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
LOL za206. I think you've been drinkin already...cuz when you do the math you are wrong, there is a difference, your range finder just isn't calculating down to the 10ths of a yard. :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
za206 said:
:shade: Dumbest thing I've ever heard!!!! hahahahaha

OK here is a test.... take your laser rangefinder, set one target at eye level and the other at 2-3 ft off the ground. Go back to some practice distance and lase away at both of them. Come back and tell us the results. :D

I already know the answer, but you can do it if you feel like wasting the time. Idiots.... :thumbs_do

I'm gettin outta here... it's time for a :beer: :beer: :beer:

-ZA206

you have got to be kidding right :confused:

if your not then your post has to be one of the dumbest things i have heard.

and yes, and long distances 80-100yds it probably does make enough difference to cost you some points.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts