Archery Talk Forum banner

Sighting in problem

893 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Alaska Gary
Ok, I have been shooting for many moons. But for some reason I can not sight in my favorite bow. I just changed strings and put a new sight on. When I shoot I always shoot low and while looking through the peep I only see half of the sight window. The Bow covers up my sight picture.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,959 Posts
Was the bow sighted in befor changing the string? I would say your peep position has changed. If you are not shooting a peep move your nocking point a little I would shoot the bow through paper to set nock height. Good luck.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before I changed the string and sight I was shooting X's all day long. I have changed the string on this bow many times and never had the problem I'm having now.

· Registered
6,497 Posts
a1hoyt.ca

I agree your rest needs to be moved out and just as a precaution check your peep for crushing in the string some brands have been known to do this. I also had this problems years back and I had to move the rest out and the sight came with it and it is a problem but you can get through it. :thumbs_up

· Registered
552 Posts
Here is a dumb question but hey its an idea. Did you mount your new sight in the same holes as the previous one? Is your center shot set up already, because its possible that your nock point is incorrect on the new string, assuming the rest was not touched and in the correct position. Also peep placement on the new string could be incorrect if the nock point is off as well.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I did. I wonder if this might be a problem. I measured where the upper riser/limb meet to the string. It was just shy of 9 1/8 and I did the same for the lower end and that was 8 7/8

I measured my other bow and the upper and lower matched. This bow i can shoot the X ring all day long.

· Registered
552 Posts
Those are your Tiller measurements I believe and they should be pretty much the same unless you prefer to tune your equipment for a certain tiller setup. I am still trying to figure out how that or your rest could have an effect on your sight picture. I could put a sight and peep on a bow without a rest or being tuned and still get a good sight picture. I keep coming back to sight placement, peep placement, or difference of anchor points.

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are your Tiller measurements I believe and they should be pretty much the same unless you prefer to tune your equipment for a certain tiller setup. I am still trying to figure out how that or your rest could have an effect on your sight picture. I could put a sight and peep on a bow without a rest or being tuned and still get a good sight picture. I keep coming back to sight placement, peep placement, or difference of anchor points.

Anchor point I have a kisser button, so I anchor same place every time. The other stuff I have ruled out.

· Registered
3,868 Posts
Alaska Gary my guess is that your kisser is higher than before that would change your sight picture . Good luck:thumbs_up

· Registered
552 Posts
Agreed! I would draw the bow back and line up the sight picture without setting your kisser button in place. See if thats comfortable and possibly move the kisser!

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed! I would draw the bow back and line up the sight picture without setting your kisser button in place. See if thats comfortable and possibly move the kisser!
I did that still shoots. Low.

I'm headed to the Archery store to work on the bow. I thinking it's my string and cable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.