Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to bowhunting, and lately ive been having trouble sighting my bow in, had it sighted in for 20yds with a field point with carbon fury arrows, well my bowhunting spot is maybe 10-15yds shooting range, and i was wondering how hard is it to sight a bow in at 10yds for my 1st pin? for hunting im using carbon fury arrows 6075, and 100g G5 Montec broadheads. thanks im new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It depends on what bow you have. Mine shoots flat out to about 20 yards, so basically a 10 yard and 20 yard pins would be in the same spot. The only time I aim any different (under 20 yards) is when shooting around 6 yards, then I use my 30 yard pin.

It's all going to depend on how much speed your bow has. You need to expereiment with how far you can use your first pin before the arrow starts to drop. IMO.

Tony.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Go out an shoot it at 10 yards holding your 20 yard pin right on the X.
See where your arrows group.
If it is only an inch or so off - then you know to just aim an inch or two high/low and you dont have to mess with the sight.
Also remember that if your going to hunt out of a tree stand - your point of impact is going to be a bit different than shooting it on flat ground so you need to practice that shot angle ahead of time.
My hunting bow has the first pin set at 25 yards and at 12 yards (just about half) it hits dead on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go out an shoot it at 10 yards holding your 20 yard pin right on the X.
See where your arrows group.
If it is only an inch or so off - then you know to just aim an inch or two high/low and you dont have to mess with the sight.
Also remember that if your going to hunt out of a tree stand - your point of impact is going to be a bit different than shooting it on flat ground so you need to practice that shot angle ahead of time.
My hunting bow has the first pin set at 25 yards and at 12 yards (just about half) it hits dead on.
call me dumb for asking this question, but how do you set your pin at 25 and 12?

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
call me dumb for asking this question, but how do you set your pin at 25 and 12?
My top pin is set at 25 yards - if I step up to 16-18 yards my arrow will hit a hair high - if I move a bit closer say to 12 yards my arrow will hit dead on again - if I move even closer like 6 yards the arrow will hit a bit low...
Your line of sight to the target is not the same as the arrows line of flight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts