Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i sight in a pin sight??
THis is my first time in sighting in a 3-pin sight the only other sight i have ever used was a pendulum sight so that is y i am asking now. any help would be good.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
It really is not all that hard, so let me give you some pointers.

First, don't start at 20 yards. Missing a target just cost arrows and messes with your mind. So, move up to 6 or 7 yards.

Now, based on the general location of the pin on your pendulem, set the highest pin. Normally for a right handed shooter, the pin would be viewed as a little left of the string when the arrow and string are alligned. The height will be probably near the top 1/3 of the sight opening.

Now, shoot one arrow. Adjust the pin up if you hit high, down if you hit low. Move it left if you hit left, right if you hit right. When you are about on at 6 or 7 yards, move back to 20 yards. The arrow will still be on paper, and probably close to dead on.

The second, or next lower pin should be set about 1/8" lower than the first pin if you are shooting it in for 30 yards. You probably will not be on the spot, but will be close enough so that you can adjust from there.

Keep this up as needed until all pins are sighted in.

Some people, with faster bows, like to sight the first pin at 25 yards, the second at 35, and the third at 45. With the faster bows, this makes the first pin within 2 to 4 inches high or low from point blank out to 30 yards. For hunting, this has some real advantages. For target shooting, this is not always a bad game.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Archersteve said:
It really is not all that hard, so let me give you some pointers.

First, don't start at 20 yards. Missing a target just cost arrows and messes with your mind. So, move up to 6 or 7 yards.

Now, based on the general location of the pin on your pendulem, set the highest pin. Normally for a right handed shooter, the pin would be viewed as a little left of the string when the arrow and string are alligned. The height will be probably near the top 1/3 of the sight opening.

Now, shoot one arrow. Adjust the pin up if you hit high, down if you hit low. Move it left if you hit left, right if you hit right. When you are about on at 6 or 7 yards, move back to 20 yards. The arrow will still be on paper, and probably close to dead on.

The second, or next lower pin should be set about 1/8" lower than the first pin if you are shooting it in for 30 yards. You probably will not be on the spot, but will be close enough so that you can adjust from there.

Keep this up as needed until all pins are sighted in.

Some people, with faster bows, like to sight the first pin at 25 yards, the second at 35, and the third at 45. With the faster bows, this makes the first pin within 2 to 4 inches high or low from point blank out to 30 yards. For hunting, this has some real advantages. For target shooting, this is not always a bad game.

Steve is giving great advice I like the Idea of starting up close. I wish I had thought of that it would have saved me a few $$$$

1 - 3 of 3 Posts