Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are/is the difference when you mount your sights in close or far away on your bow? Not the sights with the real long bars but the regular sights.......anybody have any preferences? Thanks

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
The only draw back to mounting farther forward that I have noticed is having to use fewer pins. I prefer farther forward. So much so that I just put my F-22 sight on a Cobra extension bar. It works great. I no longer have a pin for 60, but I have one for 20, 30, 40, 45 and the top of my level is 50. The biggest advantage for me is finer adjustment of the pins. It's far easier to make the fine adjustments.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I have always compared it to shooting a hangun vs. a rifle. I seem to be more accurate with an extra inch or so out front. Could just be my mind though.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The longer your sight radius or the distance from your peep to the pins, the more pin gap you will get and the more accurate you can make elevation adjustments. However, there are some practical limitations, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Farther out also magnifies any bow movement (especially torque) which means you have to hold steadier to keep your pin on the target. It is a slight difference but it helps.

·
Registered
18,857 Posts
Generally speaking about sighting devices on anything from guns to telescopes, a greater distance between front and rear sight will yield greater accuracy. Also, in the case of the Extreme Sniper sight that I use, I can see the round sight housing just within the peep when I use the full 5 inches of the extension, so aligning peep to front sight is easier. It makes hitting that broad side of the barn one step closer for me.

You're having a little too much fun setting up your new bow, aren 't you? :banana:

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spreggy said:
Generally speaking about sighting devices on anything from guns to telescopes, a greater distance between front and rear sight will yield greater accuracy. Also, in the case of the Extreme Sniper sight that I use, I can see the round sight housing just within the peep when I use the full 5 inches of the extension, so aligning peep to front sight is easier. It makes hitting that broad side of the barn one step closer for me.

You're having a little too much fun setting up your new bow, aren 't you? :banana:

you know what the REAL funny thing is...It hasnt even come in yet.....and Ive already got all these things in my mind...I might actually bust a cerebral aneurysm when it does come in.......:wink:

·
(aka lug nut)
48,288 Posts
savedbygrace said:
you know what the REAL funny thing is...It hasnt even come in yet.....and Ive already got all these things in my mind...I might actually bust a cerebral aneurysm when it does come in.......:wink:

Now, where did I put my reading glasses???

39-inches between the peep sight and the scope lens.
:D

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We all know you like em far N&B...you have a stabilizer/sight all in one.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nuts&bolts said:

Now, where did I put my reading glasses???

39-inches between the peep sight and the scope lens.
:D

:eek: Man that thing is out there........

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
shooting light draw weight and long distances one sometimes has to move sight closer to bow to cover the long range targets .my sight is almost dropping off the bottom for 60 yards .to shoot 90 meters i'd need to move it closer and remark all yardages .

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I like mine out farther then most hunting sights allow. Thats why I got the Hogg It sight. I am more accurate with the longer sight bar.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm so old, I can't see pins up close.:eek:

I like to put my pin sight far enough out to see the pins yet close enough in that the housing is out of sight. That way I center on the X yardage pin, not the housing. YMMV

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts