Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two strings that are different by 1/4 inch. How significant is that to bow performance, brace height, sight markings, grouping, etc?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
String length differences

String length differences may be subject to the number of twists within any one given string.

If the string you are using is 1/4" shorter than the other string and the string you are using has a number of twists within it, then there is a slight possibility that the two string can be interchanged. I like to get the length of the replacement string (with 12 twists in it to begin with) about as close as possible to the string I'm going to replace. That is why it is important to untwist the used string counting the number of twists before using it to determine the length of a replacement string.

In this way you can use the original string to set the string jig. I like to put 12 (min) twists into a string before serving the center section. Then the string can be twisted up a max of app. 30 additional twists to set the brace height. I like to get the length so that the string needs a minumum of added twists past 12 to get it to braceheight. Then as you shoot it, it will stretch slightly requiring added twists to get it back to braceheight. That way the string will have about 20-30 max twists within it when it is ready to really be shot.

Also I like to use a lot of wax. I've found that you can almost not over wax a string. The string will shed the excess wax as you shoot it until it comes to a normal level of wax. Then slight waxing every once in awhile will keep it fit.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Like massman said, you can possibly twist to make even.

As far as how it sits now, 1/4" difference will probably make nearly 1/2" brace height difference. The longer one will make the arrows preform stiffer, and your sight markings won't be on for sure.

One problem I've noticed on overly twisted strings is that they act like a spring. Too many twists, and the arrow preformance goes the other way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts