Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is it to silence a target bow?

I know it may not make a difference in your shooting unless you can dampen a lot of shock out of your bow, but do you worry about it or not?

Does it bother you if your bow is "noisy compared to others shooting around you?

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
As long as the noise does not bother me, and I am not actually hurting anyone else, then they can just deal with it.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
i honestly hate hearing loud bows ! it always make me look dive & duck ! mine is'nt hunting quiet but it's not like shooting a 22 either .

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
PA.JAY said:
i honestly hate hearing loud bows ! it always make me look dive & duck ! mine is'nt hunting quiet but it's not like shooting a 22 either .

I shot a 3D today and this guy's bow was so loud you could hear 4 targets away. I like mine quiet, but it doesn't have to be hunting quiet.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Dampening a target bow would help to absorb shock, which in turn may help to prevent equipment damage. But I would not obsess over it as a properly set-up bow would be slamming the Xs even if it's not hunting quiet.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
deerslayer420us said:
I shot a 3D today and this guy's bow was so loud you could hear 4 targets away. I like mine quiet, but it doesn't have to be hunting quiet.

Was it an Onieda. I shot one time in the same room with one and it was so noisey it made every one gun shy and i was half way cross the room. AC

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Christopher Lee said:
Dampening a target bow would help to absorb shock, which in turn may help to prevent equipment damage. But I would not obsess over it as a properly set-up bow would be slamming the Xs even if it's not hunting quiet.
Well, I guess, it depends on how it effect your competition.:wink: I real do like to have some damping on my bows. I find that most of the Martins could use some taming from a shock stand point. I have put an STS on about every bow I have owned since they were made. The Martins probably do to their reflex risers really like STS's and IMO, they shoot a lot better with them. To me, it only added to the enjoyment and does not degrade it and reducing vibration, saves sights and other equipment.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
noise on any of my bows drives me insane!! My target sight just started rattling (bad bushings) a couple of weeks ago and I had to stop shooting it because it annoyed me to the point of shooting poorly.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Thanks for the replies. Now I have an STS, what else would you recommend? Something on the string, Limbsavers, etc.. I really would like it as quiet as possible, but at the same time, I don't want to look totally out of place either.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,305 Posts
kg4tyr said:
OK Thanks for the replies. Now I have an STS, what else would you recommend? Something on the string, Limbsavers, etc.. I really would like it as quiet as possible, but at the same time, I don't want to look totally out of place either.
My Bullet X from Rytera comes from the factory
with Simms string leeches.

You can tie them into the string with some dental floss.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6802

I have them tied into the bowstring
about 3-inches below the cam (top and bottom).

·
Registered
7,634 Posts
when my son was in his teens we got him a provantage which people found loud and i enjoyed . just bought myself a provantage on ebay . first shot there was the same sound, i was pleased . had anew string put on and the person put on some little shaggy rubber things . went shooting and my sound was gone,i was not pleased .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts