Plywood 3 points
Steel drum 4 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 4 points
Accuracy 4 points
Blades 2 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Total score: 23+ with a blade sharpness rating of C

The 160grain Simmons Shark is one big 2blade head! Simmons heads are unique in several ways, but mostly in the shape of the blades. They curve outward at the very rear in such a way as to resemble a sharks tooth. This gives the heads a “deadly appearance” to say the least.
In the Accuracy dept I found the 160grain shark to shoot very well. The groups were tight and consistent, as well as very close in impact to my field points. For such a large head this is excellent performance. In the plywood the head stopped just short of full penetration. Several times it came very close, but no cigar. This didn’t surprise me as most two blade heads just barely get through, and one of this size is going to have a really hard time. In the tire the head made it through with ½” of shaft sticking out the back. I consider this very good, again considering the large cutting diameter. In the steel drum the 160grain Shark penetrated the first side fully with half the head sticking out the back wall. In all of the tests their was no damage to the broadhead, and with a little sharpening it would be ready to go hunting.
Overall I think the 160grain shark did very well, especially considering the large cutting diameter. Penetration was very good to excellent in the test materials, and the wound channel the head makes in softer materials is impressive. If you shoot heavy equipment and want a two blade head that will cut a big hole, you will like this broadhead. All things considered I was impressed with the performance of such a large head and think it would do an excellent job on just about any game one would ever hunt.
These test results are with the head tested as a two blade. With the Bleeder blades installed accuracy was not quite as good, although still acceptable. The Bleeders also stopped the head from fully penetrating the tire. Performance in the drum remained the same. The bleeders are made to bend or break off when they hit heavy resistance, and just as I found in the 125grain heads, they do just that. The “hole” the head cuts with the bleeders in place is truly impressive, but I personally prefer to shoot the head as a two blade, of course it’s nice to have the option.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts