Archery Talk Forum banner

Single bevel with bleeder options

7239 Views 31 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  BlutoF15
G'day
Looking to get some single bevel 2 blade broadheads with bleeder blades.
Wanting 150g to 175g and close to a 3to1 blade.
If from Australia even better but doesn't really matter.

So far I have been looking at the Kayuga Pilot gen 2.

Just wondering what options are out there, doesn't seem to be many single bevels with bleeders around.

Thanks.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking at the iron will also. Seem to be hard to find in Australia.

@pinwheeled those are the ones I mentioned in the op. They look pretty good just looking at other options so I only buy once.
Only thing stopping me from getting them is the multi angle rather then being just one straight edge.

· Registered
10,697 Posts
I have been looking at the iron will also. Seem to be hard to find in Australia.

@pinwheeled those are the ones I mentioned in the op. They look pretty good just looking at other options so I only buy once.
Only thing stopping me from getting them is the multi angle rather then being just one straight edge.
Yup. I just posted that video in case you had not seen it and hoping it would help with your decision either way.
good luck in your search.

· Registered
196 Posts
Most research shows that a two blade single bevel is ideal. Anything more stops or slows down the spinning. If you are worrying about blood trail, ensure they are razed sharp. The blood trail will be great and most animals will drop within site. I use the old Anarchy broadheads. When they run out I will use Alien Archery Australia V2. For any really big animals, I would go with a slimmer single bevel. The 1.5 inch single bevel broadheads kill deer almost instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8 Posts
G'day

Just wondering what options are out there, doesn't seem to be many single bevels with bleeders around.

Thanks.
Try wasp straight shooters

· Registered
16,103 Posts
G'day

Thanks.
it's gonna be tough finding a sinle bevel with bleeders and 3:1 or close, the best 3 options i can think of are kayuga, kudu and iron will... the kudu 150gr is a wicked head, but it's big, it's 1.4" cut i think, and add bleeders, it will not help going through bone, but i think single vs double bevel vs bone isn't very relevant with modern equipment, and building an arrow based on going through heavy bone just isn't as logical as some make it seem.

all 3 of the above options are good options though.... i think Ashby lubed his single bevels with high grade snake oil so they made it through bone better;)

· Registered
512 Posts
Might be worth talking to Kayuga to see if they would make you some custom heads of their old schools with bleeders. Tuffhead just put bleeders on their 2nd gen of evolution broadheads. But, I think those all are heavier than what you want.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

· Gold Supporting Archer
11,684 Posts
Let’s kick this around some.

Single bevel is know for a spinning action with a O exit. We can all agree on this.

So now you got a head that’s spinning like mad which results in great penetration and a huge exit hole.

Where is the advantage to having bleeders ?

Sounds to me, bleeders slice. But you have a high spinning head that bow will get slow rolled as the bleeder cuts.

Does penetration lessen because you know that bleeder will slow that whole head down as it encounters flesh and is slicing.

So to me it’s counter active. Not saying it’s not deadly just that it is slowing down an already effective high spinning O driving head.

I’d have to use them a bit to see if the exit wounds get better or worse ? Or less deep ?

On paper to me it’s not optimal.

· Registered
13,233 Posts
Ironwill and tuffhead new one for this year would be my choice . The tuffhead 2.0 evolution was awesome last year and should be only better with the addition of the bleeders

· Registered
13,233 Posts
Let’s kick this around some.

Single bevel is know for a spinning action with a O exit. We can all agree on this.

So now you got a head that’s spinning like mad which results in great penetration and a huge exit hole.

Where is the advantage to having bleeders ?

Sounds to me, bleeders slice. But you have a high spinning head that bow will get slow rolled as the bleeder cuts.

Does penetration lessen because you know that bleeder will slow that whole head down as it encounters flesh and is slicing.

So to me it’s counter active. Not saying it’s not deadly just that it is slowing down an already effective high spinning O driving head.

I’d have to use them a bit to see if the exit wounds get better or worse ? Or less deep ?

On paper to me it’s not optimal.

It will still rotate just fine , the rotation is caused by force on one side of the blade , as long as the bleeders are single bevel , I’ll take that all day .

· Full Time Novice
11,281 Posts
It will still rotate just fine , the rotation is caused by force on one side of the blade , as long as the bleeders are single bevel , I’ll take that all day .

I’m intrigued to see what my trails look like. I still wants a 1.5” single bevel most that are shooting single bevel have the necessary weight to do it

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.