Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking into purchasing a new bow and have very little tuning experience. How heavily would you weigh benefits of a single cam vs a hybrid cam. I continue to read that, contrary to the advertising, the hybrid cams are more difiicult to tune and require more maintenance. How much more maintenance and are their other benefits of one over the other?

Thanks,

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
I have owned and shot both types and I prefer the hybrid cams. So far I have seen no maintance or tunning issues. I personally don't like the feel or the draw of the single cam, & prefer the smoothness of the twin cam. I also don't like the let down of the single cam at all.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
To be honest I don't think it matters much at all. With the new string materials out there string stretch is about a non issue any more. Once you get your bow tuned in you should be fine if you have a good set of strings like those made by Stone Moutain, Winners Choice, Vapor Trail, etc.

The one thing that a lot of people like about the single cam is they have a certain "feel" to them in the draw & shot. I think they may make a little less noise but that would be such a moot point I wouldn't base my choice on it. I choose a single cam because I like the "feel" of it during the draw & at the shot. A lot of people really like the hybrid cams & they do shoot great. They have a unique feeling draw as well so you need to try both.

Just get the bow you like the best & don't worry about the cam system, I don't think it really matters this day & age.

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Just like the advertising for hybrids, the advertisements for single cams are also misleading. Singles require tuning and maintinence just as much as hybrids do. The key, I believe with either, lies with the string and cable(s). Get good quality, and once properly tuned / timed, there shouldn't me much after that for either style of cam. I don't really think that their is that much maintinence / tuning / timing differences between two styles of cams to matter.

If your buying a new bow, I would pay more attention to how it "feels" to you, and also look at some of the other components of the bow...especially the limbs, grip, and riser design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts