Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a single cam even worth sticking with now days? Are the new bows just easier to tune over the old singles? Or is it just for speed?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was hard pressed to give up the single cam at one point, but the truth is the single cam was the answer for poor string material back in the day. They are less efficient in every way, but when strings were bad it was impossible to keep a bow tuned. Strings are such high quality now that keeping two cam bows in time is easy and they are just wayyy more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
That being said, I do still have a switchback and conquest 4 that I sometimes shoot because I like them!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
i'm still shooting a Supra HP for spots, with no desire to change at my age, anymore. but what is said, is true,.... better string materials have made the twin cam come back onto the scene with a new reliability.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I still collect and shoot them. Speed means nothing to comfort, shootability, and enjoyment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: leoncrandall74

·
Registered
401 Posts
I see no reason to upgrade, unless something really catches your eye. It’s all bragging rights, but I outshoot most of the hoyt-bois with my 8 year old bear single cam

·
Registered
173 Posts
The forgiveness of the single cam draw is worth keeping for a back up bow. Whether it be cold weather hunting or drawing from a seated position, that single cam will come in handy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I agree with everyone. I guess I didn’t state that. I told you why they are not around anymore but there really is no reason to upgrade unless you just want to. I go through a whole bunch of bows, but that’s because I want to play with them not because I need to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the single cams harder to tune then new bows?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don’t think so. Sometimes there can be some stubborn single cams, but I’ve also had some ‘“state of the art” new bows make me want to pull my hair out. Plus with the single cam you still have one split yoke to work with. Unless your talking about the new bowtechs or elites, they are in a tuning class all by themselves!!!

·
Back Yard Champion
29,774 Posts

I don't think so. I had 3 Hoyts with single Red Line cam and 1 Hoyt with some single cam I can't remember right off. Retired my 2000 MagnaTec about 5 years ago and 40 deer.
I've kept 2, a UltraTec and MagnaTec. Brought the 2000 UltraTec out of retirement twice once to take 2nd in the 2005 IAA Two Day Field Championship and again in 2010 to win a Darchery (301) Money shoot - 7 shots to win.

·
Registered
864 Posts

I have heard that some single cams can be stubborn. But my wife's PSE Stinger is a breeze to get shooting well. Can't speak to other models because this is the only one I have worked on.

·
Registered
51,147 Posts
If that's what YOU like then so be it, personal preference. Harder to tune, no, if anything simpler.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Except for a few of the newer ones they are slower than most modern bows but that’s the biggest downside.

I find mine very easy to tune and shoot as accurately as any other bow. I’ve tried to move on a few times but so far came back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Also if you put a quality string in it they will stay in tune. String stretch was the tuning problem in the past due to the extra long threads.

·
Registered
24,117 Posts
When I shifted from decades of trad archery to compounds in 2010, I was coached by a couple friends to get a single cam bow for the ease of draw on an ailing shoulder. I ended up with a Ross Cardiac that was a really nice shooting bow.....quiet and accurate. When a discussion of the quietest compound ever made comes up, a bunch of folks will point to the original Bowtech Guardian, but my nephew hlad one and we shot side-by-side and I would put the Ross Cardiac as equal or a very close second.

When I "progressed" to dual cam bows, I gifted our son-in-law with the Cardiac and he is still shooting/hunting with that bow today. A couple years ago the JBK string set was getting a bit worn, so I replaced them with a set from Catfish Customs and it tuned very easily. There have been many threads on AT where a shooter had "upgraded" to a newer bow and lamented the fact that they didn't shoot it as well as their old "XYZ". Part of that might be simply familiarity....you have to get a new one the time due to adapt to the differences......but newer doesn't assure better.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,798 Posts
IMO the single cams were easier to draw and more quiet. The downsides were string stretch (because of the long string) and they were not fast compared to dual cams. For a hunting bow they are still a good option unless you have to have the fastest bow on the block.

·
Read Only
APA mamba28, viper sight, ripcord, GT velocity 340
0 Posts
I loved my feather Max. Shoot what you enjoy. There are some new single cam bows that are nice. I own two new ones. They’re not my primary bows but I like them very well and have been considering hunting with them so I’ve enjoyed the thread.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a 2013 Heli-M. Went to the shop I like three times to, not trade, but get another bow, like a triax, or used chill, something else. I invariably spend more time looking at used solo cams....67 so not many more bows in my future.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts