Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has your experiences been with single piece broadheads? Do you prefer 2 or 3 blade? I am looking at using RMS Cutthroat 125s with a right bevel if I can get an arrow setup going for this fall. I am open to looking at double bevels or 3 blades as well. 3 blade heads seem much easier to sharpen, but I am willing to take the time and learn how to sharpen a single bevel.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I am Leary of the 3 blade one piece heads. I have Only experience with the G5 Montech horrible blood trails. I have never had a blood trail issue with a 2 blade and they are not supposed to have as good a blood trail. The other part the last 6 deer I have shot all have died within sight.

With all that said a would go with a 2 blade.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
personally I like monolithic type broadheads. two blade single bevels. the cutthroat is a good one. I shoot the Alaskans from grizzly stiks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Just a thought, but maybe 2 blade heads can excel more because you can get a more uniform level of sharpness.

Take 4 blade heads, 2 sides per blade equates to 8 edges to maintain equal sharpness.
Let’s say you sharpen the first 3 blades perfect, during the last blade the ol lady starts yelling at you.. so you rush the last one. Now you shoot an animal with this broadhead and 3 blades glide like butter, but the 4th creates drag and pulls the arrow that direction slightly, altering the trajectory.

Off topic, exhausted thoughts. Maybe something to consider, or just laugh at me you decide!

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
I’ve used two blade double bevel with very good results. I bought some three blade solid heads and never was satisfied for the level of sharpness I could attain, so I never used them.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I do a 3 blade it will be like a VPA 3 blade, no G5’s or NAPs for me. Just never shot those style heads so I wanted some feedback

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Shot a truck load with 3 blade VPA's....about all I shoot nowadays. Too easy to sharpen, spins like a top, very well made. My experience with also using 2 blades of various makes and bevels has been to stick with 3 blades for consistent blood trails.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,579 Posts
IMO the only reason to shoot a 2 blade head is if you need or want extra penetration. I much prefer the extra cutting surface of a 3 or 4 blade head because I have plenty of penetration for that style head. The wound you get from a 3 or 4 blade are much more "open". The only draw backs are less penetration (apples to apples).

·
addicted to hunting!
1,046 Posts
Shot a truck load with 3 blade VPA's....about all I shoot nowadays. Too easy to sharpen, spins like a top, very well made. My experience with also using 2 blades of various makes and bevels has been to stick with 3 blades for consistent blood trails.
How are you sharpening your VPA three blades? I have quite a few of them but I’ve never been able to get a razor sharp edge. I primarily use the KME sharpener. Then I’ve tried a jewel stick and a strop. I just can’t get them super sharp. For that reason I primarily use the Magnus stinger Buzz cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
The very best blood trails I've ever had were with big original Snuffer 3 blades. Ive had excellent blood trails from other 3 blades also (such as Thunderheads). Worst blood trails I ever experienced was with 2 blade heads.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
john f I sharpen twp blades at once laying them on a coarse diamond to start or even a ******* file if its dinged up or been practiced with alot. I pull the heads to me with point facing away. I found the secret is to use a 12" piece of arrow to screw the head onto and then use that as a "handle". I grab it on the arrow right behind the broad head.....that seems to keep the pressure even all during your sharpening which is important. I usually pull it to me once then flip to the next two blades. I do this 30 times or hit all 3 edges 10 times. I does really help to take a sharpie and darken the edges when you start that way when your done your 30 passes you can see if all the edges are clean. Then you go to a medium fine diamond for 30 times and I'll finish with the same 30 passes on either a piece of leather or cardboard with jewelers rouge on it.....it should shave by then. Then I'll take my sharpie and hit the edges again, this will keep off rust and if I pull it in and out of my quiver a bunch and the sharpie starts to wear off I'll hit it on the leather or cardboard just to bring the edge back to shaving sharp if I feel it need to. Clear as mud??? LOL

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,374 Posts
so you are "looking at using the RMS Cuthroat 125's" which only comes in a 2 blade, "I am open to looking at double bevels or 3 blades "

but not the broadheads sold in stores like NAP G5 Magnus, Muzzy etc...

Hey Yuhon, nice info onn sharpening but get a quiver in which the broadhead does not touch anything..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts