Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading a lot on sights. Seems like many have switched to single pin sight and like/ love it.
I've always shot multiple pin sights. I target shoot and hunt. I can see how most would like a single pin for target. Takes out the clutter of other pins and just dial it to distance. I did notice for hunting most set it at a certain distance and then (I guess) move the pin up or down on the animal to preferred distance. Most shots out to 35 yards. I'm sure with practice this can be accomplished and seem to work well.
Never use a single pin sight so for hunting what are the Pros and Cons?
I mean deer don't just come in and stop turn broadside (Well sometimes they make it easy). So has the sight cost you a animal? Because of distance beyond your first calculation. I also understand that most bow shots are close, so the 35 and below would work well. But to me my 20 is 20, 30 is 30 etc. no guessing game. Is the pros not picking the wrong pin. Acquiring the target faster?
Is a single pin sight for hunt just better or just a guessing game?
Help me to understand.
Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I like the top secret stuff!
Pretty much practice, practice until it's second nature for hunting.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
My bow shoots around 288fps. My typical shots from my stand are 30yds or less. When hunting I leave my single pin slider on 25yds. That way I'm good from 20-30, probably even 35 if I stretched it. I have had to make adjustments on the fly so I leave my slider unlocked. With the big knob on the black gold its easy to make a quick adjustment.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Look into the double pin from spot hogg. You can set your top pin at 20 yards and your bottom will be between 33-42 depending on your setup. With their double point it allows you to know where BOTH pins are sighted in at all times. There is no guessing what your "other" pins are like on multipin moveables and it gives you more than 1 pin reference so you are much more likely to make a better shot on game if you have to hold over/under in a hunting situation if you don't have time to dial to the exact yardage in the heat of the moment. 99% of the time you shoot it just like a single pin sight, but that one time you needed that other distance that your pin is not set at you have it. Shooting a single pin always screwed me while hunting. I really enjoyed using my double pin this past year. I set it at 26, making my second pin 39 and my level was 50 yards.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Double pin spot Hogg looks nice.
There has to be more opinions out there. Trying to get talked into single or double pin sight. But I would like to hear more about your hunting experiences. Good or bad!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Cant really say much about hunting scenarios, but i run an hha optimizer kingpin and i love it. I went back and forth between that and the fast eddie xl and eventually decided on this. Personally i like the single pin and has a much clearer sight picture. It feels more natural to me (since i started with rifles) to shoot a vertical pin than a horizontal one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Single pin HHA cost me a really good buck a couple of years ago. Had him coming down a trail on an overgrown power line that would have taken him 10 yds broadside, but he began to veer off on a secondary trail that I didn’t know about that put him gaining elevation and just below eye level at 50 yds where he stood for over a minute. Because he was focused on scanning the pipeline I was on and I was somewhat sore thumb on the side of a pine tree in a climber, I was unable to move and adjust my sight.

Since then I have gone to 5 pin MBG slider where my 50 yd pin is the floater, so that way I can dial in anything over 50. It’s there if I need it, but honestly I have not used the slider while hunting whitetails in the SE. Great system for out west during elk season though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Double pin spot Hogg looks nice.
There has to be more opinions out there. Trying to get talked into single or double pin sight. But I would like to hear more about your hunting experiences. Good or bad!
The only disadvantage of the single pin is having to dial to the exact yardage or know how high/low to hold if you can't. I cannot do that in that spur of the moment when a shot opportunity presents. The double pin gives you every advantage of a single pin, but gives you that extra yardage marker to know where to hold if you have to hold over because you can't move you sight. It also gives you the option of using the multiple alignment rings which have a ton of advantages. If setup properly you never see all the rings in bright light, you only see the inside ring, and in low light you should be able to see most of the rings allowing you better peep to housing alignment in critical low light shooting circumstances. I had one opportunity at a buck at 43 yards this year and I messed up and hit him in the brisket. It was not the fault of my double pin, which I used my bottom pin due to not having time to move my sight. That being said 50 yards was my max without moving my sight and 50 was a stretch using the level for me so I am personally going back to a 5 pin moveable. That being said I won't ever shoot a single pin for hunting and if I do go back I will go back to the double pin. I am 90% sure I would not have gotten a shot at that deer had I needed to move my sight after ranging him and I have missed multiple deer in the past trying to hold over/under when hunting with a single pin. Good luck with whatever you choose. If you shoot 95% of your animals at 20 yards a single pin will be just great. But if you shoot past 30 yards at animals with decent regularity I think it is well worth getting the double pin.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I switched to a single pin HHA sight a while back and really like it. Love having a less cluttered sight picture for hunting. I leave mine set at 25 yards and can confidently hit out to 40 yards by just aiming a little high or low if a buck moves in quick or unexpectedly. In the same breath, it takes no longer than a couple seconds though to adjust it to the exact yardage when a buck comes into your area slowly or stops to feed. Go with what you like best, but I don't think you'd regret the single pin. Very pleased with mine and the HHA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is everyone's thoughts of the MBG Ascent Verdict 3? 3 not 5 pin but adjustable for longer distance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
sight master made in montana google it.is the only sight that you can move when at full draw with there finger tip control sold seperatly.it is a great durable sight.i do change the scope on mine to a larger brighter pin.all of my friends and people who have seen mine have switched http://sight-master.com/

·
Registered
432 Posts
I came to archery with a very strong firearms background. I just couldn't get used to sighting through a cluster of multiple pins so I use a single pin HHA sight on all three of my bows. I don't understand what all the hype is about having to hold over or under or taking a few extra seconds to dial in the exact range. That's what I've always done with rifles and pistols wearing irons or optics' so it's second nature to me. But to each his own. I guess it comes down to whatever works for you as an individual.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have hunted with the single pin hha since they came out just upgrading to a better model of the hha from time to time. My next will be a kingpin. I never tighten it down so I can move it any time I want and never had a problem with deer hearing or seeing me but I hunt from a treestand. Jmo.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
My signature would answer your question. However, I'm planning an elk hunt next September and for that hunt, I will put a 3-pin HHA scope on my "elk bow". While I like single pins for tree stand hunting whitetails, the longer, unknown ranges that I might encounter on a western hunt suggests that a 3 pin would be better. I will set the first position on my sight to cover 20, 30, and 40 yards. The second position with cover 50, 60 and 70 yards. That should be enough!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I've shot about every single pin that's made. I really like my MBG Pure 75, but I just ordered a SH Fast Eddie XL double pin. I hunt in TN and KY in tree stands or blinds and have only adjusted my sight when I hunt the bean fields early season and have time to range and adjust. All my other stands are set in thickets where my shots are 30 yards and under. I set my pin to 25 and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
My signature would answer your question. However, I'm planning an elk hunt next September and for that hunt, I will put a 3-pin HHA scope on my "elk bow". While I like single pins for tree stand hunting whitetails, the longer, unknown ranges that I might encounter on a western hunt suggests that a 3 pin would be better. I will set the first position on my sight to cover 20, 30, and 40 yards. The second position with cover 50, 60 and 70 yards. That should be enough!
Unless you have two different sights with different pin gaps, your 20, 30, and 40 yard pins will not be sighted in for 50, 60, and 70 yards. You could put your 40 at 70 and your 20 would then be around 55 yards. Your pin gaps open up as you go out to longer distances. For example on my double pin(I use this because it is very easy to see what both pins are always sighted in at) when I set my top pin at 20 my bottom pin was about 36 yards, But when I set my top pin at 90 yards my bottom pin was about 100 yards. While they would be close I strongly recommend practicing if you are going to use your sight in that fashion as they may not hit where you think they would.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts