Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing from a Trophy Ridge multi-pin to a single pin sight, I'd like it be fairly simple to set up and wanted some suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Sword sight has been my favorite so far.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
They all basically set up the same pick one
My favorite is a axcel accuhunter

·
Registered
144 Posts
If using for hunting would recommend a two or three pin, where I hunt the deer don't stay at one spot to long. Am using MBG ascent verdict three pin and like it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If using for hunting would recommend a two or three pin, where I hunt the deer don't stay at one spot to long. Am using MBG ascent verdict three pin and like it.
I am not bashing you as I do not know, but doesn't that defeat the purpose regarding clutter in the sight picture?

I am using the HHA Optimizer and I found that there is only a 2" difference between 20 and 30 yard shots if I keep the pin on the 20 yard spot. So in theory, if a animal is 30 yards away and walks up to 20 yards away, I don't have to make any adjustments...or maybe I am wrong...let me know as I am still learning.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I am not bashing you as I do not know, but doesn't that defeat the purpose regarding clutter in the sight picture?

I am using the HHA Optimizer and I found that there is only a 2" difference between 20 and 30 yard shots if I keep the pin on the 20 yard spot. So in theory, if a animal is 30 yards away and walks up to 20 yards away, I don't have to make any adjustments...or maybe I am wrong...let me know as I am still learning.
Definitely something to play with. I can put my single pin on 30 yards and shoot from 0-35 without moving it on an elk. A couple inches high or low depending on yardage.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Love single pin sights, wish I would have switched years ago. ( spot and stalk only) I have an HHA king pin, had to modify to work for me, rusts real easy, is well made ( other then the rusting bolts) has the brightest sight of any I tried. I also have a Spott Hogg, hog it. It is “ sloppier” the the HHA, but I did not have to modify it, and don’t know about the rust issues yet as I have not had it but a few months. It works, but it’s not as precise feeling. I had an axcel and liked it but it was the dimmest pin of any I owned, and we can’t use a battery operated sight light on our bows here in Colorado. I would like to try a sword but I really don’t like how they rout the fiber optics, other wise I would own one of them also.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm thinking of changing from a Trophy Ridge multi-pin to a single pin sight, I'd like it be fairly simple to set up and wanted some suggestions. Thanks
On most of the single pin sights, you put a "Sight In Tape" on the sight dial. You find your pin height with the slider so you are sighted in at 20 yards. You then walk back and find the spot on the dial where you sight in at 40 yards. There is a small calculation and then you look at the included chart to see which sight tape you should put on the sight for your other yardage settings. There are plenty of youtube videos showing exactly how to do it. It is pretty easy as long as you can consistently group arrows at 20 and 40 yards.
The man at the archery shop begs to differ and he uses a blank tape and marks his yardages himself as he doesn't trust the method the manufacturer gives.

·
Registered
608 Posts
over the last 12 years, I have had several. HHA, Montana Black Gold, and Spott Hogg. I am currently running the Spott Hogg Fast Eddie XL Dual Pin. It is my favorite thus far.

Watch the Classifieds on here, and you will find a great deal as well.

·
Mark
5,431 Posts
MBG gets my vote

·
Catty Shack
12,345 Posts
When I switched to Easton ACC shafts years ago, I had trouble getting the pins close enough together.

I special ordered a 3 pin all green Armortech, moved the bottom pin out of the way, and set the other 2 at 25 and 49 yards.

I learned my drops and gaps and it worked fine. The green pins were so bright it looked liked they were lit.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,273 Posts
OP this is where a search is a good idea. You will have DAYS of all the reading material if you want it and you will see it always ends up in the same place......it just depends on how much you want to read.

·
Catty Shack
12,345 Posts
When I switched to Easton ACC shafts years ago, I had trouble getting the pins close enough together.

I special ordered a 3 pin all green Armortech, moved the bottom pin out of the way, and set the other 2 at 25 and 49 yards.

I learned my drops and gaps and it worked fine. The green pins were so bright it looked liked they were lit.

My bad - fat finger - 25 and 40 yards.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
4,242 Posts
what poundage of bow, draw length and arrow weight are you shooting?

some of these guys are shooting 80lbs at 30+ inches with a 400 gr arrow in which the arrow does not drop until it gets out there a ways...

another words with out you knowing what bow the guy giving the advise is shooting and the advisor not knowing what you are shooting, all comments are worthless

on another thread in the hunting section a guy made a comment, someone called him on the comment and then he said, Well I don't hunt, so ya have that too

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
what poundage of bow, draw length and arrow weight are you shooting?

some of these guys are shooting 80lbs at 30+ inches with a 400 gr arrow in which the arrow does not drop until it gets out there a ways...

another words with out you knowing what bow the guy giving the advise is shooting and the advisor not knowing what you are shooting, all comments are worthless

on another thread in the hunting section a guy made a comment, someone called him on the comment and then he said, Well I don't hunt, so ya have that too
i shoot a "slow" bow by todays standards at 60 lbs and a pretty heavy arrow and have no trouble with a single pin, fyi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts