Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been shooting archery since June and the bow I bought came with an inexpensive three pin sight. Now it's plenty accurate, but I have been looking at something a little better with a light on it. I was wondering how many of you have experience with single pin and multi pin sights and if one had more advantages than the other. The single pin seems like it would be a pain in the butt trying to adjust the range on it as a deer comes into range. Seems like the extra movement would work against you. All information is appreciated. Good luck to all this season.

·
Registered
756 Posts
single pin.. I do not hunt in areas that require many different shot lengths so an uncluttered sight picture is what I want

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a friend that shoots one pin to 40 yds. I can't do that. Multi pin sights are best for me and probably most of us.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I shot a 5 pin sight for almost 20 years and switched to a hha single pin 2 years ago, I will never shoot multiple pins again. I just bought a trijicon accupin yesterday, I cant wait till it gets here.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have any of you found any distinct advantages of one over the other? Mainly in a hunting set up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Big deciding factor will be the length of shots you intend to make while hunting. If you are in big woods and limited to probably 25 yards, one pin is plenty. If your bow is one that shoots at the speed of light and you are accurate enough you could stretch that 20 yards. Beyond that use multiple pins, but remember the more pins the greater the confusion factor under stress.

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
For me one pin is all I can deal with and I've been doing it for many years. Tried a multiple pin setup once and blew the shot because I picked the wrong pin in my excitement.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Agree with 421X3 on this...it depends on where and how you hunt. If you're shooting close range with a somewhat fast bow, you should be okay with 1 pin. If you start going out farther you have to adjust your pin to the actual distance, which you may not have time to do. Either that or just aim high or low, but then you are essentially "guessing" which could just as easily lead to a miss as picking the wrong pin can. I do believe I would like a nice, clean sight picture that the single pins offer but I haven't picked one up yet. Still a multi for me.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
For me one pin is all I can deal with and I've been doing it for many years. Tried a multiple pin setup once and blew the shot because I picked the wrong pin in my excitement.
did this last year and gave a fat doe a buzz cut across her back.. I plan on going back to a single as soon as I can sell my multi pin. I like that a single pin can be set at the inbetween yardage markers rather than gapping 2 pins

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I used a single-pin pendulum sight from a treestand for years and loved it (the pin changes position depending on the angle of the shot). It was dead on out to 35 yards as long as I was elevated. It was not good for ground blind hunting or 3-d archery shoots. I have gone back to a 3 pin sight for the rare occasions when I shoot from the ground. I miss my pendulum when hunting from a treestand which is most of the time. If you always hunt from a treestand, it is something to consider. If you sometimes shoot from the ground, the the pendulum is not what I would recommend. Best wishes.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Single pin.

·
THWACK!!!!
9,754 Posts
Trying to decide which I want myself. I like the clear sight picture of a single pin. Don't want to have to adjust a pin when in a hunting situation.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The single pin really interests me, I just don't know if I'm comfortable with having to adjust my sight as the deer is walking in.

·
Registered
11,789 Posts
i use a 5 pin, trophy ridge sight. it has inline pins so you get a great view of target. never had a problem with 5 pins.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just ordered a vital gear single slider track pro...i used to shoot the 5 pin vital gear....I shot my buddies and liked it alot. Last year in WI i shot over a buck...im not sure if i picked the wrong pin or just panicked and put all the pins on the deer and let it fly....I just lost it.....So im hoping the one pin will help me out.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't foresee ever having to shoot over 40 yards here in NC. The woods are always pretty thick, so that's what made me think about a single pin. But that's what also made me worry because the extra movement of adjusting my sight might get me busted on a deer that's up close and personal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts