Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Tru-Glo single pin sight and would like to know at what yardage I should sight it at in order to use it from 10 to 30 yards while deer hunting?
Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Chuck

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would set it at 30 and practice from 10 to 40 and remember where the point of impact is

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i agree with zen, i have an hha and always have it set at 25yrds. i'm effective from 15 to 35 without moving sight by holding either a little low or high, depending. i do have another mark on the white strip for shooting 10 yrds and under though. the 1st year i used a slider sight, i thought i always had to move the sight to compensate for the yardage but now i know if i'm on my 25 mark i'm deadly. that being said, shoot your bow from 10 to 30 and find the point where you only have to hold low or high a little to be dead on for any of these yardages. this is what i call my red zone on my sight tape.if it's in the red then it's usually dead. hope this helps. one other thought though. i 've tried the cobra easy slide, the cosmic impact and the tru glo and a few other sliders and so far the hha ol5000 beats them all hands down. just my opinion though. good luck. :teeth:

·
32,710 Posts
bukhuntr said:
i agree with zen, i have an hha and always have it set at 25yrds. i'm effective from 15 to 35 without moving sight by holding either a little low or high, depending. i do have another mark on the white strip for shooting 10 yrds and under though. the 1st year i used a slider sight, i thought i always had to move the sight to compensate for the yardage but now i know if i'm on my 25 mark i'm deadly. that being said, shoot your bow from 10 to 30 and find the point where you only have to hold low or high a little to be dead on for any of these yardages. this is what i call my red zone on my sight tape.if it's in the red then it's usually dead. hope this helps. one other thought though. i 've tried the cobra easy slide, the cosmic impact and the tru glo and a few other sliders and so far the hha ol5000 beats them all hands down. just my opinion though. good luck. :teeth:
Very.....very......good post. Alot of folks ought to read what you have to say here. Also, at the end you recommended the HHA ol5000, I totally agree!!! Great sight. I've shot my best scores with that sight. I like the single pin sight.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I use a single pin HHA OL-5000 set at 20 yards, but it has a control knob to adjust to whatever range I have "marked" on the side of the sight.

Here is my philosophy:

On our skittish Ohio WT deer, shots out to 30 yards. I will be using the 20 yard setting. My bow is about 3" low at 30 yards with the 20 yard pin. I have seen MORE deer than NOT duck down at the "Sound" of a bow during the release.

You're better off aiming for the lower 1/3 of the "kill".

For shots pushing 40 yards, I'll use the 40 and aim low accordingly.

Good luck. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have a tru-glo single pin sight, I love it. I have marks for 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards for 3D. If I keep it set right between 20 and 30 when im hunting, i can shoot anywhere up to 30 (my max hunting shot) by holding dead on.

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Zen Archery said:
if your bow shoots flat set it at about 25.
For hunting I also use a single pin. I have mine sighted in at 25 yards. This way at 10 yards it is about two inches high and at 30 yards it is about two inches low. All I need to do is aim center chest and from 10 to 30 yards there is only about four inches variance in impact.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Before I changed to a multi-pin setup, I hunted with a single pin for many years. I always set it at 25 yards and would hold high or low depending on the shot...worked pretty good. :wink:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Single Pin

I think more Bowhunters, especially in the east would be more efective with a single pin. I started bowhunting in 67, barebow, with a recurve. When the compunds came out, I bought one and put a 3 pin sight on it. After I missed a nice deer because I shot the wrong pin, I went to one pin and limited my shots to 35 yards. With todays bows and carbon arrows a one pin set up is more efectve than ever. I set mine for 25 and gap accordingly. It's worked for years and I see no reason to change.
DennyG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts