Archery Talk Forum banner

Single vs. double caliper

573 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Ringy
I shoot off a string loop with a Scott Mongoose (single caliper) and really like it, but my brother shoots off the string. He is currently looking for a new release. Is a double caliper better for shooting off the string, or does it really make that much difference? thanks.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
double caliper

I have never shot a singel caliper release because it always made more sence to me to have the string or loop leave the release with steady presure from both sides. seems like a single would make the string bump slightly as it was released. could be wrong but I have never had any problems out of a double

· Registered
8,465 Posts
solaman said:
I have never shot a singel caliper release because it always made more sence to me to have the string or loop leave the release with steady presure from both sides. seems like a single would make the string bump slightly as it was released. could be wrong but I have never had any problems out of a double
Same here. A single doesn't make sense to me, either.

· When's bow season start?
9,222 Posts
Should the jaws of your release start to wear, it is much easier for a string loop to slide past a dual caliper release than a single.

I shoot a Scott Mongoose w/a string loop and I have had no problems.

· Registered
17,332 Posts
Then WHY do THE most accurate releases in the world engage from one side and release from one side??? :confused: Personally, even in a wrist strap hunting style release I have found products like the T.R.U. Ball Short-N-Sweet realease to be THE most consistently accurate releases available.:thumbs_up

· Registered
808 Posts
Cornfed said:
Then WHY do THE most accurate releases in the world engage from one side and release from one side??? :confused: Personally, even in a wrist strap hunting style release I have found products like the T.R.U. Ball Short-N-Sweet realease to be THE most consistently accurate releases available.:thumbs_up
I agree with ya cornfed. I use a Short-n-Sweet and my son uses a Little Bitty Goose, both with only one moving part (hook / jaw). They are the most consistent type releases we've found. It's also notable that almost all target releases use a "hook" similar to the S-n-S's, which release with similar dynamics as a single caliper.

· Registered
826 Posts
solaman said:

The body of the release acts as the "second" jaw on a single caliper release, it just pivots further back than the "movable" jaw. Happens so fast you don't even know it. There is no bump. Just shoot a reliable release that fits you well, better if you can get it on sale and buy two in case you lose one. You won't go wrong with either style.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.