Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Most of the time, I hunt from conventional ladder stands or even permanent stands with standing platforms. This past fall I shot a deer from a home made semi permanent stand that allowed me to sit down while hunting in a swivel chair. I found this to be nothing short of awesome. The seat actually swiveled allowing a tremendous range of motion and view. The idea of sitting also seems to be extremely safe.....at least it felt safe.

What is your opinion on sitting vs standing while perched in your favorite tree?

Anyone ever tried the GameTamer tree stand?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
if i can sit and shoot i prefer to sit b/c it saves extra movement when a deer is in bow range. if a deer comes in from behind me or to the side i will stand up b/c it is hard to see and shoot at those angles and movement can be partially hidden by the tree.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I am sitting until I spot a deer that I think is coming toward my stand. I will slowly grab my bow and get on my feet. I try to turn to the direction I think will produce a shot opportunity. If a deer is going to pass behind my tree I don't think I will get a shot if I am not standing. I have moved around from one side to the other while deer pass behind the tree I am in. What ever works I guess, I'm standing.

·
HillsideCustomSlings, LLC
13,632 Posts
if i can sit and shoot i prefer to sit b/c it saves extra movement when a deer is in bow range. if a deer comes in from behind me or to the side i will stand up b/c it is hard to see and shoot at those angles and movement can be partially hidden by the tree.
+1 Couldn't have said it better myself!!

·
NAASP
15,235 Posts
sit or stand

I do both.

Some stands are more comfortable than others.

But I'd rather be standing for the shot, so I make an attemt to stand most of the time.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I sit till one comes into veiw...than i'll ease up...I move around less while im sitting.. waiting.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am about 50/50. I prefer to shoot standing. I give my back and legs a break by sitting. I have shot exactly as many deer standing and as I have sitting and then standing to draw.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
Every deer I have shot with a bow except one I have been sitting. The one the only reason I was standing is because I was on the ground walking to my stand. I actually prefer to be sitting when I shoot now because I have done it so often. I don't actually practice shooting from a sitting position alot,about twice a month during the off season. Then once a week when it's closer to the season. Another nice thing about being comfortable and confident shooting from a seated position in a treestand, is it's one less thing to worry about.

·
# 9 # 9 # 9......
2,081 Posts
All the deer I have killed from a tree stand have been while I'm standing. Indeed it is what I prefer. I typically spend about 75% of my stand time on my feet. I purposely set my stands up on the backside of the trees (away from the anticipated deer travel direction) to help conceal any movement I may make while drawing my bow. So I pretty much have to be standing to make a shot. Only rarely have I been "caught sitting" by an approaching deer, and usually can get to my feet and get a shot after they pass by me.

HR

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
+2

·
Registered
982 Posts
I only sit to give my back a break. I stand the majority of the time. I feel that if a deer sneaks up on me at the wrong angle, the movement of standing is a lot to get away with. None of my deer (over 60) have been shot while sitting.

TTS

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.