Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch, I often wonder what if I couldnt shoot my bow.

Muscle spasms in the mid to lower back. On meds, no shooting for a couple of weeks.

Now this is a first, pain intense and Im diffiantly not going to be shooting:wink:

Told the Doctor that deer season starts Oct 1. This better be Ok by then, because I will be hunting opening day.

Wife said this should be an interesting two weeks :rolleyes:

Amazing been a weightlifter for 20yrs and never felt pain in a muscle like this, could be old age:tongue: Actually up 5:00am because its hurting.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Sorry to hear that DB....I can't imagine not being able to shoot my bow. Hope that gets better for you. I hurt my elbow at work and sometimes my shoulder hurts when I shoot. I've thought about not being able to shoot my bow anymore and I don't know how I would deal with that. I love archery and I sure would hate to have to give it up. Take care of yourself and I hope you get out there on opening day.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Been fighting a bad draw elbow all summer, got a shot in it yesterday. Want be able to shoot for a few days myself. Good luck DB, rest will help the back.

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
Dang DB . . . that stinks. I can identify though. Several years back (more then I care to think about actually) I got some sort of inflamation in both elbows. I walked around for almost 3 weeks like a T-Rex because I couldn't straighten my arms. For the first week I couldn't even pick up a coffee cup let alone shoot my bow. It was maddenning. Good luck! Hope you feel better by 10/1.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Sorry to hear about the back DB. My hunting partner has been out with a bacK injury since February! And, I'm recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery. Talk about a couple of handicapped deer hunters. :cry:

Take it easy and hopefully you'll be ready for the season ASAP! Good luck!!! :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I hope you get well soon!!! Been there and done that too!!! Had to cut poundage some. I like to shoot but had to lighten up some.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back DB.
I know where you're coming from.
I had surgery to fuse a couple of vertebra in my neck 4 weeks ago and the doc said not to pull the bow for 6 wks. Heck, just a ride to the deer lease got my attention! Weather must be changing cause it aches like the dickens right now.
Mind what the Dr. tells you. Hope you heal up quick and have a great opener.
BigD

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We are trying this first

Few meds to see if it is muscles. 20yrs weightlifting and I know what torn muscles feel like. This hits me just walking across the floor, no lifting envolved.

If this dont work its gall blander test next. I really thought it was gidney stones or soemthing but those test came back negative.

Heck getting old:confused: Old fat body starting to say lose some weight:eek: we are not as young as we use to be:eek:

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
10 yrs of hard lifting for me as well and now my shoulders are acting up, i feel your pain.

Im thinking about taking glucosime (spelling?) as bandaid to get me through the season while i lay off of the gym for awhile.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Daniel Boone

I feel your pain. I am having a MRI this afternoon to try to locate source of numbness and loss of strength in both arms. I had surgery in 1974 to relieve pressure on nerves exiting my spine and think this is the same type thing.

I am looking at my Management Area drawn permit for this weekend as I type this. I definitely cannot climb my favorite trees and have already had to back my bow down to un-acceptable poundage .

My prayers are with you!

ps- I am qualified to post on this subject

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
DB,

I ended up with a 3 week and 3 day stretch that I could not shoot last month into early this month. I can feel for you knowing that opening day is rolling up so quickly.. Wishing the best for you, take it easy and listen to your bosses (wife and doc) in that order.. :wink:

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Hope you get that back feelin better soon DB. I'm having severe elbow pain again, and shooting is on hold once again. Broke my right elbow as a kid, and I've had problems ever since. Kinda wonder if the switch to recurve didn't help mine flare up this time, maybe a switch back to compound is in order for me, anyhow, get that back fixed, and hope you feel better.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sorry to hear this Dan. I missed our state outdoor because my lower back--hip was out of place along with a rib, after 3 trips to Dr. and about 3-4 weeks it is feeling better. One of the meds that relaxes me and puts me to sleep is Flexorall. Take a few days off and let it heal, then lighten up the poundage.
Carroll :)

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
sorry DB

trust me i know what your going through. i had to just sit back and watch my brothers and all my friends last year go hunting while i sat and did nothing. i herniated my neck and my back and missed the whole year last year.
went and had 3 MRI's before any one told me anything and i was only told about my neck. got sent to PT, and 3 months later doc aske how my back was after PT. i said my back still hurts and my wife needs to help me sit up in the morning so i can get out of bed. but why are you asking about my back? i was sent in for my neck!... thats when i found out i had done in my lower back also. had a possible tear in the annular also. went through a series of shot totaling 4 seperate appointments starting from Oct. '05 thru jan.'06. back is still messed up but there isn't any way i am missing this year. so since feb. this year i have been "dealing" with the pain as the surgeon said they won't touch my back because i'm to young to have it cut open.

so....... i wish you luck and hope it's not as evere as this. good luck to you whatever happens.

speed

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
DB,

Lumbar spine compression, which accounts for 99% of all lower back pain, is very common for men who are overweight and/or pump iron. The cause is downward pressure on the sciatic nerve.

I know about this because I suffered with it for over ten years. About eighteen months ago, on the advice of a friend I bought an inversion table and started hanging upside down for ten minutes, twice a day. Within a week the pains in my back were gone.

Now I just hang for five minutes, once a day, and I haven't had an attack of back pain since.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Here's your solution, Dan. ;)
Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Injured my back the summer of 05' and didn't shoot again for 9 months.

Sag.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
4 month lay off

DB,

I had a 4 month layoff, not due to injury, but a deployment to qatar, I tried getting my bow over there, but no weapons allowed, which was a shame because they had archery in country. I did buy one of those practice bows from lancaster and used it. I am glad that we have a few weeks off before league:rolleyes: We are going on a caribou hunt up on the haul road from the 1st to the 7th of October, I can remember when 70lbs was easy to pull back:embara: now 65 is a chore, maybe I should get in the weight room:wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back so close to season opener. You can go ahead and send me your bow and I'll shoot it for you. You know keep the dust and cobwebs off it.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Friend emailed me

Sagittarius said:
Here's your solution, Dan. ;)
Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Injured my back the summer of 05' and didn't shoot again for 9 months.

Sag.
Said he had an extra one anytime I want to use it. Its diffiantly a thought.
Im not sitting hunting season out.
DB

1 - 20 of 45 Posts