Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between these two. I know the Traverse does not come in EVII....wish it did but probably not a deal killer.

I plan to use this as an outer layer in early season and then as a layer piece under my Stratus once it gets colder. I will also wear this on coyote hunts and then turkey hunts in the spring.

I am thinking the Traverse may be too warm for Spring turkey hunts. Thoughts?

- Can you wear the facemasks on these without the hoodie being up?

- Would the Traverse be too bulky if I layer with merino base then the Traverse under my Stratus?

Anyone prefer one over the other?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have both, the Fanatic is better suited for wearing as a layer under your Status. It is not as thick as the Traverse or as warm and is mor form fitting, less bulky. On the other hand the Traverse will work better as an outer layer, but both will do either. You can wear the face mask without the hood being all the way up over your head but it will be up a bit on the back of your head. Watch for a sale and get both.

·
Registered
14,345 Posts
The cold weather hoody is a nice peice. More of a jacket than a shirt. The only issue I had with it is the sleeves are short...

The fanatic hoody is nice to. I am not a big fan of the handmits. They are pointless. It also was way over priced for what it is. I would go with thecore heavyweight top over the fanatic hoody.

The facemask really only is functional with the hood up on both peices. I hate wearing hoods unless it rains. Better off with a core neck gaiter.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I do not have the traverse but I the fanatic is a great piece. I never saw myself using the had mitts but they actually work very well. I will wear put them overtop of my fanatic gloves for extra warmth, when the time comes you just flip them down and you've for full use of you hands. The hood/mask combo is great. I have always preferred a gaiter to a hoody as well, but the way the hood fits tight to your head and cut back away from your eyes, it eliminates the peripheral vision issue of most hoods. I also didn't think it would be as warm as my normal merino wool gaiter but it definitely is. The price tag sucks but it is definitely worth it, I wear this piece on every hunt from Oct - Dec.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Was also thinking about getting the Sitka Neck Gaiter. Would it be pointless if I get one of the hoodies? Not needed?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I have the fanatic hoody. Team that up with a transverse top and stratus jacket and I am good to go into the mid to upper 30's on stands while deer hunting. For coyotes I use it into the 20's.
Depending on were I hunt I use it with my Jetstream for coyotes.
I am not a face mask fan nor do I like wind on the back k of my neck. The fanatic works for me on both issues.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Thanks guys. Was also thinking about getting the Sitka Neck Gaiter. Would it be pointless if I get one of the hoodies? Not needed?
If most of your time is spent hunting when its 30 and above, probably not. If you're going to be out when you get down into the 20's or teens a gaiter would probably be helpful. All depends on your tolerance for cold.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the cold weather hoody. I think it's more of a jacket than a layering shirt. I have paired it with a thin merino top, traverse zip t, and the hoody and been fine in the 30's. The sleeves are kinda short but it is extremely quiet.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
Trying to decide between these two. I know the Traverse does not come in EVII....wish it did but probably not a deal killer.

I plan to use this as an outer layer in early season and then as a layer piece under my Stratus once it gets colder. I will also wear this on coyote hunts and then turkey hunts in the spring.

I am thinking the Traverse may be too warm for Spring turkey hunts. Thoughts?

- Can you wear the facemasks on these without the hoodie being up?

- Would the Traverse be too bulky if I layer with merino base then the Traverse under my Stratus?

Anyone prefer one over the other?
THIS SHOULD ANSWER you're question in bold type

View attachment 5140449

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'd skip the gaiter, I bought one, but it's a real lightweight material that I didn't think would be warm at all, it seemed a bit narrow and overly long in my opinion. I have an icebreaker merino neck gaiter that is the cat azz. i was skeptical of the fanatic hoody, but after using it all year I can safely say t's the single best piece of camo I own. i love the hood, the mask, even the goofy mitts i found myself using (at least on my left hand).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts