Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitka Mountain jacket vs Timberline jacket vs Jetstream

I splurged on some new Sitka gear this year. I wanted to revamp my early season set up in some Subalpine to better blend in when everything is still green. I bought Traverse and Mountain pants which should cover me from warm to cool weather. I went with a core lightweight long sleeve and the Kelvin active jacket. I figure this should cover me from warm weather to cool.

If I decide I need to add another outer piece it would probably be more of an outer shell type jacket. I'm looking for something that's quiet and durable and will cut the wind. Looking at the discription it looks like that is the Mountain jacket? I'm wondering what the difference in materials/function is between the mountain and timberline and jetstream.

If I could get the Equinox jacket in subalpine that's what I'd do so something like that would be great.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,694 Posts
Don't sleep on the gradient...most whitetail guys skip right over as it is listed primarily in the waterfowl section....the gradient set is an EXCELLENT addition to any system....it can be worn by itself in the chilly mornings or as a mid-layer when the temps drop. Fleece lined, whisper quiet, water repellent outer material...the waterfowl marsh pattern melts in the hardwoods and treestand and I'd put it against the Elevated and Subalpine patterns any and twice on Sunday.

It is NOT designed as a whitetail piece so some of the advantages that Sitka includes in their whitetail pants like full/mid length leg zipper are missing, but I am telling you this...they are THE BEST mid layers I've ever used...from fly fishing in the icy spring and fall to early season turkey hunts and almost the entire archery season (a little warm for the early season) its a very good set.

Best of all Rogers is clearing the pants and you can grab what once were 190 pants for less than 90...at that price they're even a bigger no brainer...the jacket is a little harder to come by at discounted prices....there's a reason.

Even though the gradient set isn't a shell or in subalpine, I hope that I gave you and others something to think about.

Joe

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't sleep on the gradient...most whitetail guys skip right over as it is listed primarily in the waterfowl section....the gradient set is an EXCELLENT addition to any system....it can be worn by itself in the chilly mornings or as a mid-layer when the temps drop. Fleece lined, whisper quiet, water repellent outer material...the waterfowl marsh pattern melts in the hardwoods and treestand and I'd put it against the Elevated and Subalpine patterns any and twice on Sunday.

It is NOT designed as a whitetail piece so some of the advantages that Sitka includes in their whitetail pants like full/mid length leg zipper are missing, but I am telling you this...they are THE BEST mid layers I've ever used...from fly fishing in the icy spring and fall to early season turkey hunts and almost the entire archery season (a little warm for the early season) its a very good set.

Best of all Rogers is clearing the pants and you can grab what once were 190 pants for less than 90...at that price they're even a bigger no brainer...the jacket is a little harder to come by at discounted prices....there's a reason.

Even though the gradient set isn't a shell or in subalpine, I hope that I gave you and others something to think about.

Joe

The gradient looks sweet. Looking for an outer shell though and it has to be Subalpine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Timberline is pretty much just a Mountain with a hood but I don’t think they made the Timberline in Subalpine.
Jetstream is completely different taking you into cold weather, I wouldn’t call it a “shell” ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I looked at my timberline next to the Mountain when I got in and the only other thing different is the sleeves have a really thin micro fleece in them. I’m guessing the intent is to add a vest to take the chill out...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jetstream is a lot thicker and heavier. More of a hybrid soft shell... I wear mine instead of the mountain or timberline when temps drop, not over them.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Timberline is with the hood,its a great thin windbreaker, and keeps you dry for a long time.Not very warm.I love Sitka gear.
But as this is a bowhunting forum, and I do have sensitive ears, I wouldnt take mine to a stand
and try to draw a bow on anything less than 25 yards away, the jacket is noisy, no way around it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Timberline is with the hood,its a great thin windbreaker, and keeps you dry for a long time.Not very warm.I love Sitka gear.
But as this is a bowhunting forum, and I do have sensitive ears, I wouldnt take mine to a stand
and try to draw a bow on anything less than 25 yards away, the jacket is noisy, no way around it.
Maybe the Jetstream vest on top of the Kelvin Active?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts