Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok looking to get a new camo set up have used UA or Nomad for the most part have been happy with both but looking to change now that its time for new gear. Wanted to get anyones opinion who might have experience with both or just your experience with either good and bad please ....and please no fan boys I don't care if its all u have ever worn and wont buy anything else thats not the least bit helpfull thanks guys

·
Keep'n Archery Real
4,287 Posts
If you're hunting from a treestand, I'd go with IWOM over anything. If you're hunting mountains and stalking, then those two brands are both great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know you can buy twice the amount of Kuiu VS Sitka pricing. When I was comparing First Lite, UA, Sitka, and Kuiu, I found the pricing of Sitka is very high compared to the others. Your dollar goes farther when you're not buying Sitka. I ended up going with Kuiu with most everything.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I recommend Badlands camo. Yes, the same maker of the best packs on the market also makes camo! A wide variety of weight options and styles. Best of all, they carry the same unconditional lifetime guarantee as their packs. It doesn't matter if you cut your pant leg while gutting out that trophy elk. They will repair or replace it for free! Essentially the last set of camo you will ever buy! Short of packing on a few pounds....http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear?hunt=212

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Own both and both are great brands. I would put Sitka over Kuiu for the most part but Kuiu is trying real hard and they've some nice pieces.

Sitka is my serious gear for comfortable hunting out west in mountains and cold, the stuff is bullet proof and just doesn't wear. Kuiu is more fitted and I use their lighter stuff for hunts in warmer weather.

On a side note I bought their new Subalpine light weight pants and jackets and sent it all back. I seems they went for durability and extremely light weight but they for got a it needs to be quiet. Really loud. Sometime I feel Sitka is more about rifle hunting than bow.

Good luck

·
Registered
11,945 Posts
They are both top quality, I don't feel one is really any better than the other. Sitka has a much more diversified product line, and their prices are higher also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like and recommend Sitka. I know it's pricey but it is worth it. If you take your time, you can find deals that make it accessible. Just a week or so ago, Cabelas had a lot of Sitka gear deals. Elk101 will offer deals here and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
CLICKBANGBANG, have u had a chance to use the kuiu are u happy with it?
Yah. Used the Kuiu a bit. No Alaska sheep hunts in it though. I'll be back out it in this Nov.

My favorite pieces are the Attack pants, merino tops, superdown vest, Chugach for rain gear. For hot weather hunts, the Tiberon stuff is really awesome. The Guide jacket is nice for staying warm. And I have two of the lighter 240 jackets, so I guess I like that one too.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
I find KUIU clothing much more attractive so they're my choice.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Kuiu is better for me. The cut of the pants just fits a bit better. I do have some of both and have had no problems with either. I have started buying more Kuiu lately simply because they seem to be a bit less expensive than Sitka. Can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Biggest issue with Kuiu is that they don't have a storefront, so it's a gamble on sizing. Sitka has been around, and appears to be refining their lines to simplify and bring down their offerings to stuff that is used, vs. put in closets. If you aren't stuck on the new Sub Alpine pattern, tons of good deals are out there on the Optifade Open Country pattern... Same gear, just the original pattern. Check out the search function, there is a Sitka anonymous thread on here where we all recount our sins and inventory of Sitka, and what household item that is not bolted down that we are planning on selling to afford our next Sitka purchase.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Take a serious look at First Lite. I've wore some Sitka and KUIU over the years, but all of my stuff is now First Lite.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I use the Sitka early season stuff when the woods are full of green , and kuiu vias later on . ive had dogs and deer walk within 5 yds of me in the elevated forest pattern. .

the sitkas over all quality in the brush is outstanding .. 2nd to none. the kuiu has a great fitting line that is much quieter that sitkas heavier stuff.
regardless of camo color , I still like the early season white tail series pants yr round . burrs are a nonfactor with these pants . however , ive owned several of the Sitka jackets , all are loud . zippers and material compared to the kuiu stuff. kuiu also has boonie hats. Sitka doesn't . I have 1 each in Verdi and vias. these are must haves . imo .

the Sitka hoodies are excellent in every aspect. w/o a doubt .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is my biggest reason for needing input the only one I can see in the store is Sitka..Kuiu and First Light are not carried . The Kuiu mobile showroom will be in my town in Sept so I will defiantly be going to try there stuff on...Thanks for all the responses so far keep them coming..

·
Registered
133 Posts
I vastly prefer Kuiu. Only reason I started using Kuiu initially is that their pant's actually fit me. I'm 6'4" and struggle to get pants that are long enough. I them started buying more of their gear and it is awesome. I just checked out Sitka and First Lite at Sportsmans. It is very nice but DAMN IS IT EXPENSIVE. $280 for a pair of pants!? I can get the Kuiu guide for $169.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have Kuiu and First Lite-- I have been buying new first lite gear. To me I like merino for bowhunting for the no stink, no glare up close aspect. I also feel the FL gear is more versatile for what you get. I'm not a big fan of the FL pants or rain gear and thats where my Kuiu attack and guide pants come in. FL has the best all around puffy (Uncompahgre).

To boil it all down Kuiu merino sucks for fit and comfort, but they have the lightest most breathable rain and outer gear-- wish they had Polygiene.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts