Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm X and PSE Inertia 50lbs
5,274 Posts
farm store heater top and bottom for $15 with a pair of walmart sweats will work just fine....

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Not sure how cold but I wear merino base and thicker polyester base as a mid layer and get to freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
11,068 Posts
If you wear down long underwear you could get well below freezing in them.

·
Registered
Revolt-X//Hogg Father Double Pin//QAD rest//Carter Release//Victory RIP-VX
51 Posts
I have stratus pant and jacket (not bib) but with First Lite furnace top and bottom plus celsius midi I am comfortable to about freezing on a 4 hour sit. YMMV based on your tolerance for cold but below 30 I switch to incinerator bib and jacket and keep the stratus pant as a mid layer. Before I got the incinerator system I wore a thin next to skin layer and two furnace style long johns under stratus and was ok but not great.

·
Registered
Go Gators
45 Posts
I ran the First Lite Kiln and Sitka Gradient under my Stratus Bibs and did fine down to 35. Any colder than that and I would probably want to go to the FL furnace

·
wolfey
4,227 Posts
Thanks I’m gonna give the furnace a go see what temps I can get out of them
Go with a fleece for midlayer. It's warmer and drys way faster and not as heavy when wet. I like grid fleece the most and have various brands that all work well. First lite has one as well. Just search they're midlayer section.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
The great part about stratus jacket and bibs is you can layer anything you want under them. Anything. That does not mean an additional expensive hunting brand of clothing. Throw on some cotton sweatpants if you want. As long as you don't get the cotton too sweated up you'll be fine

·
Pay It Forward
25,789 Posts
I agree with everything said...the celcius midi (or something similar) is a must have the warm to weight/bulk ratio is just too much to pass up...because the Stratus offers a good windshear layer you just want to focus on warmth...depending on your tolerance the Gradient set is an awesome compliment, MANY times I use the Gradient set and pack the celsius midi - as it packs so small...if I need to add it later I tend to add it under the gradient top. I usually wear two layers of merino wool base layers, a thin 250 against the skin, topped by a heavier count overtop - dramatically increases moisture wicking away from the skin and that is usually the real culprit of hunts cancelled because of the cold.

BigMike makes a good point, there isn't a need to spend so much on what goes on under the stratus, you're primarily looking for whatever keeps you warm. I try to spend wisely...so sometimes spending a little more on those mid layers, results in a good outter layer for other times fo the year...my Gradient set gets a TON of use, the celsius midi-the most of any single piece I own and my Dakota set is just behind the Gradiant...the Dakota pants are better suited as outter layer in the spring or earlier fall than the Gradient and Dakota hoody is wind proof and water resistant, the Gradient is not...but the Gradient is a full zip which is nice as layering piece.

Joe

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I don't have the bibs, but I will be wearing the furnace and the midi pants (when I get them) with my stratus pants for colder weather. I had the furnace and a pair of sweatpants on under the pants when it was down into the low 20s and didn't feel all that cold even with some wind chill.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts