Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying the stratus set to incorporate as a windproof set with my first lite gear. I have almost every piece of first lite gear, but I'm wondering if just having a "go to" wind proof layer would help me simplify my kit while treestand hunting. First Lite seems to lack a true windproof layer (Northbranch bibs are not windproof, jacket is, but no hood) but I do have the woodbury and sanctuary set which are very warm and people claim they are windproof but first lite does not make this claim. My thought was to possibly buy the stratus to layer over woodbury/Sanctuary/puffy for a true windproof set which would ultimately require less layers. Anyone done this? Does the stratus have any water resistance?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
The Stratus set is water resistance, but not water proof. It is outstanding in the wind and is a flexible set (jacket/pants) I wear mine from 60 down to 40, which is the majority of the hunting days in MD.

·
Vendor
84,686 Posts
The Stratus set is probably the most popular from Sitka and it repels water very good and the wind resistant makes it warmer and is my favorite set up . Let me know if you need a price on any of it.

·
Scout, Hunt, Kill!!!
4,261 Posts
You're wanting to layer the Stratus over the Sanctuary set?

I don't have the Sanctuary set, but I could see that being very bulky and binding.

For below freezing temps the Fanatic set from Sitka is perfect and windproof. I've hunted the past week in some cold windy temps and stayed warm with minimal layers.

The 24th it was 28 degrees, light snow with 25+ mph wind gusts and I sat on a finger running into standing beans and stayed totally warm. I had one merino bottom layer and a merino layer and fanatic hoodie up top under the Fanatic suit.

Yesterday it was 15 with 10+ mph winds and I used the same layers with a heavy fleece bottom and mid fleece top added. No bulk at all and I was perfectly warm.

For anything above freezing I like the stratus set. It is said that they will add bibs for 2018, I'd hold off to see if they do. The pants suck to walk in because you can't vent them and you will sweat like crazy in any temps above freezing.

I think if they add the bibs, those along with the fanatic lite jacket, hoodie, and vest will get you down to freezing when it is time to switch to a different suit. I'm not a huge fan of the stratus jacket.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Layering it over the first lite stuff would not work out well. My suggestion would be sell the first lite, pick up the stratus set, a puffy set, and a fanatic vest. This will cover all the way into the coldest of temps.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Do you get cold in the Sanctuary Jacket? I see no reason why you would want or need to layer OUTSIDE the Sanctuary. I owned the jacket and never once thought I needed more protection from wind. I think you may be overthinking the situation.

I think what you want is the Sitka Incinerator set. Wind and waterproof with Down and Primaloft insulation. Easy to layer under since the down compresses easily, but you don't need many layers.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Most of my base layers are FL but outerwear is Sitka. Stratus setup gets me through temps in mid 30’s if I wear a puffy jacket or vest. I even wear my core4element puffy jacket under my Stratus Jacket and it works fine. Don’t forget that Sitka runs small whereas FL can be bigger on certain items.

·
Vendor
90,525 Posts
Thinking about buying the stratus set to incorporate as a windproof set with my first lite gear. I have almost every piece of first lite gear, but I'm wondering if just having a "go to" wind proof layer would help me simplify my kit while treestand hunting. First Lite seems to lack a true windproof layer (Northbranch bibs are not windproof, jacket is, but no hood) but I do have the woodbury and sanctuary set which are very warm and people claim they are windproof but first lite does not make this claim. My thought was to possibly buy the stratus to layer over woodbury/Sanctuary/puffy for a true windproof set which would ultimately require less layers. Anyone done this? Does the stratus have any water resistance?
The stratus will repel some water but is made to layer around the jacket with a puffy or insulating material like the celsius. The stratus is the most versatile because it allows you to wear with bases and then add underneath as temps drop

if you need more stratus help feel free to pm us and we can help

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I have been running the original Stratus jacket and bibs since they came out back in 2010 or 2011. They are still my favorite Sitka set for everything from about 35F to 55F. Awesome gear. Windproof and pretty warm with the right layering depending on the temperatures. No bulk either.

I am glad to see them bringing the bibs back.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I sold all my stratus stuff . wind proof , yep , good in the cold , yep ,.......... I used very little layering and hunted below 30 degrees with no problem . those are its good traits . the bad , the zippers are loud as is the material used . I also found it bulky for my taste . ive gone to Sitka layers , they are pretty quiet and really comfortable , but bought a kuiu Chinook jacket . its quiet , very flexible , has large pockets , and is lightly insulated . ill be wearing this combo in the morning with wind chills near 10 . your base layers should , imo , provide the warmth . the Sitka base layers will layer up really well with this jacket and still be snug for good bow shooting clearances . the stratus is far more bulky than I like , but that's just me .

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Stratus set with layers and the Fanatic vest over the jacket gets you dome below freezing easy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the stratus pants and jacket. I also have the fanatic jacket. I prefer the detachable hood, built in hand muff pocket and chest pockets of the fanatic in combination with the status pants. Wind, mild rain and cold down to the 20's/30's hasn't been a problem. I do use the Kelvin insulating layers too when really cold and always the merino wool base layers.

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
I have the stratus pants and jacket. I also have the fanatic jacket. I prefer the detachable hood, built in hand muff pocket and chest pockets of the fanatic in combination with the status pants. Wind, mild rain and cold down to the 20's/30's hasn't been a problem. I do use the Kelvin insulating layers too when really cold and always the merino wool base layers.
you got a nice combination .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts