Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wanting some honest opinion on both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on what piece of gear. As a whole Sitka line may be more complete given more pieces. Sitka runs “athletic” aka marathon skinny fit for me. But I sized up in the pants to get some more room. Still snug on the quads. First light has better fitting merino and pants IMO. Tried the Sitka briefs and that was it didn’t bother to try any others.

Other threads cover this more depth and you should search based on what specific piece of gear you are interested in.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's a cliche here, but deciding you're ONLY going to use one brand of the "big 3" you're kind of shortchanging yourself.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Firstlite fits better than Sitka. In my opinion Sitka is more durable and can make a complete system with much easier because of wind blocking features. Kryptek is just as good or even better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have never wore or owned Sitka but I have bought several first lite things over the last few years. I don't see any need to change love everything I've bought so far.. what are you looking at buying? Light stuff heavy stuff etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never wore or owned Sitka but I have bought several first lite things over the last few years. I don't see any need to change love everything I've bought so far.. what are you looking at buying? Light stuff heavy stuff etc
Mostly light, doesn’t get to bad here in sc

·
Registered
527 Posts
I’ve used both a pretty good bit owned/own 8-10 articles from each company. My OCD won’t let me mix camos so for me I choose first lite after trying Sitka first. I do think there are clear winners from both though. For base layers first lite wins for me with merino. That stuff just doesn’t stink. Pants are really a draw for me, with the exception of the Sitka ascent, by far the best lightweight pants. First lite corrugates are just as nice just significantly heavier. For midlayers the Sitka fanatic hoodie is exceptional and I don’t believe first lite has anything as good for mids. Still like first lite mid layers just not as much as the fanatic hoodie. Outer layers the first lite for me is heads and shoulders above when you compare the cost value. I can’t spend $450 on one jacket when I can get bibs and jackets from first lite at $600. Lastly I do believe durability is won by Sitka, if I had to hunt in it everyday all day I think the cost difference if Sitka would even out, but for me just weekend hunting I choose first lite. Can’t go wrong with either.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Others gave superb answers already. The corrugate guide pants are my favorite pants ever. And I tried em all. It's really a toss up with the mid layer and base layers. Fl for merino, Sitka has awesome synthetic. Sitka has much much better outer layers however. The Solitude set from FL has no windstopper and is a waste of time. The Fanatic series is probably the best outfit for deer ever designed

·
Full-time Dork
2,139 Posts
I had a couple pieces of sitka, then tried first lite a few years ago. I switched to all first lite. Even though first lite doesn’t have a wind-proof layer, if you wear their systems properly you really don’t need it. I’ve personally alwYs ended up sweating in wind stopping layers and gotten colder. I have a full system of first lite for here in Ga. while it doesn’t get bitter cold like it does in the Midwest, it does still get cold here, low-teens and even single digits with high humidity. I’ve had sits at 7-10 degrees and 70-80% humidity with the first lite layers and been extremely comfortable. Your mileage may vary, but for me, first lite won.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,648 Posts
Ive sold ALL of my FL, have a few Kryptek pieces, but the rest is Sitka...haven't looked back even for a second. I do have Kuiu Katana raingear, best raingear I've ever owned and I'd be embarrassed to share the list of those I tried before I settled on the Kuiu.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I am like the above post except I have never owned any of the “big 3” except Sitka. Only real reason is because I get a substantial discount on it and not as much of one on FirstLite. I still plan to purchase some in the very near future. I have always heard great things about FL merino. For me, the Sitka Fanatic set is really exceptional, the only thing that could make it any better would be a hood on the jacket. Stratus bibs are awesome as well. And I really love their pants.

I am looking forward to trying some of the FL gear though.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Being a bigger guy Sitka has more options for me in 3xl. I do really like my Solitude set though, but thats about all that fits me in First Lite except a few of the base layers.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Ive sold ALL of my FL, have a few Kryptek pieces, but the rest is Sitka...haven't looked back even for a second. I do have Kuiu Katana raingear, best raingear I've ever owned and I'd be embarrassed to share the list of those I tried before I settled on the Kuiu.
I second Kuiu as the best rain gear. It's head and shoulders above others I tried. Most rain gear is 2 way stretch. The Yukon is 4 way stretch, and the comfort difference is night and day between 2 and 4 way imo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have been able to get Sitka at better prices than FL but equally important is that IMO I see Sitka as more of an eastern whitetail company and FL as more western. Sitka, at least, seems to be trying to change that. Love the FL merino but I also like some "off brand" merino. Both outstanding companies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts