Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should there be a skills test for archers before they are allowed to buy a hunting license ? what do you think it should be.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I don't really think skill testing works very well,so I say no.
Here's why,I know two bowhunters that are at different ends of the scale.
One is a NZ national tournament champion and the other has never shot at a target outside his own back yard.
# 1 took 15 years of very active hunting to take his first deer an he missing a lot of them in that time due to buck fever.
#2 has been taking animals regularly since I introduced him to bowhunting.
Now both these guys are people I have a lot of respect for, but the tournament archer could pass any test you could put to him,while #2 is not consistant beyond 10-15 yards.
Very few people suffer "buck fever" shooting targets.
You see,if I didn't know either of these two guys I might think neither of them had any right being out there trying to shoot living animals,,,,but it just don't work that way.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
No, I would guess that the majority of deer woundings that occur every year have more to do with a hunters lack of patience then lack of skills.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I would be in favor of one. It wouldn't be real strict but 5 of 5 arrows in a 12" cirlcle at 20 yds I think would be sufficient for anyone even thinking about hunting IMO! I know guys that hunt that can't even do that.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hell they should have one for gun hunters for sure,downright scary there!:wink:
For archery I'm going no.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
I would be in favor of one. It wouldn't be real strict but 5 of 5 arrows in a 12" cirlcle at 20 yds I think would be sufficient for anyone even thinking about hunting IMO! I know guys that hunt that can't even do that.
I tend to agree with this. I just don't see why anyone that couldn't pass a simple thing like that should be allowed to hunt anyway. Like Hair makes them a better shot?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
When I got my Archery license in New York I had to take a test. I had to shoot 15 yards and hit in a kill zone of a paper deer target. If you don't renew your archery license in 10 years you have to take the test again.
I did this 30 years ago. My brother just went for his archery license and had to take the same test. I think evey one should take some type of shooting test. Maybe go out to 20 yard instead of 15 yards.

·
Registered
621 Posts
yes there should be but there wont be. It would cost too much in license revenue. The average bow hunter is a terrible shot. The guys on this site are not the average guy. Bubba Bowhunter is just now starting to shoot for this fall. I see them all the time at the range, cant hit a paper plate at twenty yards. If it was up to me there would be a pretty strict test to get your license. If you wont take the time to learn to shoot decently, you should not be allowed to go out and try to poke holes in the wildlife
jon

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
YES!.

I have seen alot of people make good points as to why there shouldn't be and the best arguments stand up real well to the issue but I have found a way around all questions pertaining to unfair testing requirements.

Testing should reflect ability only :wink:

Is that the same thing?....NO ... it is not.

Ability does not mean that you can hit every target every time but the fact that you know how to hit every target every time.

Testing should be done by qualified archery instructors only .
People who are able to see the difference between ability and inability.

Testing should be done on a score system with double instructors on site during the testing.

Both instructors would come up with a blind score and then with those two scores added together the score would have to have a minimum of lets say 150.

Just an idea that could be refined but it wont happen.:cry:

The manufacturers would lobby hard to eliminate any talk of such a thing in light of it killing their sales as loafers would simply opt out of hunting with a bow.

That is what happened in NY many years ago and it is not any different anywhere else where cash pays to make the laws. :sad:

My real answer is to form or support organizations which mandate ethics and expel members if those standards are not met.

Hunting clubs would be the best place to start weeding out the slobs by requiring members to pass testing each year before being allowed to hunt club property. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
kraiza said:
When I got my Archery license in New York I had to take a test. I had to shoot 15 yards and hit in a kill zone of a paper deer target. If you don't renew your archery license in 10 years you have to take the test again.
I did this 30 years ago. My brother just went for his archery license and had to take the same test. I think every one should take some type of shooting test. Maybe go out to 20 yard instead of 15 yards.
NY you are not required to shoot to pass

some instructors encourage you to but they cant fail you even if you miss the back stop every time :confused:

·
Banned
333 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
That would be OK with me. also have a rifel qualifying . - WHY NOT?
If I can't hit any more . test me on my cross bow:)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hell yes ,is it a cure all ? of course not, but it would sure help
Won't happen though as it is just easier to play three blind mice and pretend that there isn't a problem.

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
YES YES YES YES YES . SOME OF THE WORST SHOTS i HAVE SEEN WERE MADE BY SO CALLED HARD CORE BOW HUNTERS .... MAKE EM QUALIFY ABSOLUTELY

·
Registered
759 Posts
kraiza said:
I did this 30 years ago. My brother just went for his archery license and had to take the same test. I think evey one should take some type of shooting test. Maybe go out to 20 yard instead of 15 yards.
?????????????? What part of NY are you from.When I took the archery safety course about 20 years ago this was definitley not part of the curriculum.I have never heard of a proficiency test being part of the course.

As far as a shooting test,inanimate paper and foam is a far cry from a live animal.Nothing ,in my opinion will replace in the field experience shooting at live game.:):thumb:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
Great. How about changing the drivers permit so young drivers only have to stay on the road "most" of the time.

I honestly think that the vast majority of hunters do try to make good shots on animals. I don't think a proficiency test is going to make a difference one way or the other.

It would be JUST another restriction in the hunting community. POOR, POOR, POOR idea.:thumbs_do

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jack NZ said:
I don't really think skill testing works very well,so I say no.
Here's why,I know two bowhunters that are at different ends of the scale.
One is a NZ national tournament champion and the other has never shot at a target outside his own back yard.
# 1 took 15 years of very active hunting to take his first deer an he missing a lot of them in that time due to buck fever.
#2 has been taking animals regularly since I introduced him to bowhunting.
Now both these guys are people I have a lot of respect for, but the tournament archer could pass any test you could put to him,while #2 is not consistant beyond 10-15 yards.
Very few people suffer "buck fever" shooting targets.
You see,if I didn't know either of these two guys I might think neither of them had any right being out there trying to shoot living animals,,,,but it just don't work that way.

I`ve seen the same kind of people. Target archers that had it going on but when asked if they had killed any big bucks they reply I haven`t ever killed a deer, I can`t hit a deer. I don`t understand it but it does happen??

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
There is for the metro hunts around the Duluth area. Have to take a course and then show you're able to hit a target. Not sure of the distance. I think it was put in place more to appease the anti's then make better hunters/shooters.

·
Registered
40,174 Posts
flamethrower said:
?????????????? What part of NY are you from.When I took the archery safety course about 20 years ago this was definitley not part of the curriculum.I have never heard of a proficiency test being part of the course.

As far as a shooting test,inanimate paper and foam is a far cry from a live animal.Nothing ,in my opinion will replace in the field experience shooting at live game.:):thumb:

if you cant hit your ass with both hands on a foam target you WILL fare much worse in a pressure situation in the feild .... you dont automaticly become superman when a deer steps out in front of you ...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts