Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a skull mount and I am looking for a few ideas.I have boiled my skull in soda ash and have used peroxide and set in the sun to get the skull white.What I am looking for is ideas on mounting/displaying it.Any pics or ideas?This is a deer skull by the way.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the old barn wood idea.Do you guys put any kind of sealer on the skull after the bleaching process?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
BB,
Here's a pic of what we do:
We like to put all of our "Non Shoulder Mount" animals on walnut pedestals.......very easy to make and they have the benefit of being able to display them on any surface such as a fireplace mantel etc.
What's nice too is that you can pick them up and look them over without having to take it of the wall.
I like these much better than a plaque mount, and even the wife likes the look so there has to be some asthetics that even a non-hunter can appreciate. :smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
However you decide to do it you will have to super glue it on. Unfortunatly we have to send one side of the lower jaw to the DMAP people in La. As for a sealer I dont use any, the peroxide has bleached it, if it starts to get a yellow taint to it, just dab some more peroxide on it with a cotton swab. I have yet to do it with mine and Dec will be a year.

Sorry for all the type O's before, was in a rush and didnt realize how bad it was until I just reread it.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
My friends and I show a little Buckeye pride and use the state outline for a background. Use brass rods to elevate the skull.

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
I like those pedestals! I take a little simpler approach to boiling...just boil in water until clean then brush with bleach. White as can be once it dries, about half hour in the sun.

If mounted on a wall plaque, I really like the ones that tip it up towards the viewer somewhat. I think flat on the wall makes any rack look smaller.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My personal choice for the Euro. mounts is a nice piece of Red Cedar. You never get the exact same shape and each one is unique, just like each trophy you get to harvest. (First pic is year before last and the second pic is last year.)

Greg :D

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Buckhorn

Here's a link to my website's "european mount" gallery.
If you look at the rest of the site, you'll see that I do taxidermy and woodwork. The combinations of wood and styles are endless.

None of the deer in these pictures have the bottom jaw, but you could easily incorporate it on the same style plaque/pedestal.

If you're interested, I do sell just the plaque and the "3D" setup.

http://www.kcdesignstaxidermy.com/kcEUROPEANgallery.html

Kevin

·
Registered
754 Posts
FishForSmallies said:
I put all of my nice bucks that aren't big enough to mount on pedestal stands like the one pictured below. I make them out of walnut and cherry, if you are interested in one let me know.

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/5540/skullmount0zg.jpg

Nice work!

But what I'm intrested in are those "small" deer that you have to skull mount.....

Let us know if you ever get over run with a bunch of those "small" deer, some people pay big money for that size of cull or Ooops deer :eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tufelhundin, that buck did score 153" gross, but he was only a 2-1/2 year old deer. I really kicked myself for shooting him once I realized it. He had a ton of potential, and if you want a big buck you can't shoot em before their time. My excuse is that he just seemed to have a lot of antler when he was walking past my stand, he seemed to have more mass so I thought he was a three year old. Lesson learned, hopefully.

As for being over run with them, that is a problem I wish I had! ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you guys keep the horns in color? I've got a skull mount in the kitcken (even have the g/f's approval) and the horns are going white. Do you "finish" them, and if so, with what??

Thanks,ragg

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Ragg,
I wrapped the bases of my horns with heavy duty aluminum foil. Don't skimp, use the good stuff. I boiled both of mine and had no problems with discoloration of the horns.

Greg :D

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Yeah FishforSmallies........I was thinking the same thing. That buck isn't worty of mounting!? :confused: I was guessing 150ish.

If I shot a buck like that in PA I'd have to hook the radar detector up on my truck for the ride to the taxidermist. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Greg, thats exactly what I've done,BUT, over the last 3 years in the house the horns are going a pastey white. I've heard to use a floor paste wax but that was a while ago and I'm not 100% thats what it was.I just want that natural brownish color,not white paste.

ragg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts