• Slate

Votes: 60 63.2%
  • Glass

Votes: 35 36.8%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I prefer slate as I find it easier to tune the striking surface so I can get a wider range of sounds and "pop" behind certain types of calls like hard cutts and putts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I voted for slate b/c that is what I have/use. Never tried the others. My wife went shopping and I told her to pick me up a friction call. She came back with a Primos Jackpot slate call. Said it looked like something I would like. Thanks honey.

I was told is that if a slate call gets wet due to rain, it won't sound like its supposed to. Is that right? My cousin uses an aluminum call/metal striker and says rain won't affect how it works.

Terry

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
This is my first year EVER trying to Turkey hunt and I was given both a slate and glass calls from a fine member here on a trade......

To me it seems like the slate works best or should I say "easier to get a good sound from", but then again it might just be me.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
How about both in one? I always have a double sided pot in my vest, glass one side and slate on the other. IMO the two back to back sound better anyways...;)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I use a glass with slate on the back... Like the sound of the glass better.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
I like the glass better, crystal to be exact. I can turn the volume up for locating those mid-day gobblers with it, or turn it down for close calling. Glass with a carbon striker really gets out there. Its a little more difficult to run, but sounds great and is VERY loud.

the slate is better for close in calling and sounds a little more natural, little easier to get a natural turkey sound also, but I usually switch over to a mouth call when closing the deal those last 50 yards or so.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Slate, glass, aluminum. i prefer what ever the toms are answering to on any given day. that's why I have one of each in my vest.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I have both glass & slate in my vest but I find myself using the glass more as it has a more crisp sound & also a better purr. That is when I am not using my box call which is what I use 90% of the time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I am a glass guy almost 100% of the time, so much so that I carry multiples. Of course I also carry aluminum, and slate, along with about 6 or 7 different strikers (usually cause I loose at least one a season). I think glass tends to be alittle cleaner and quicker than slate at it has a wider tone range than slate does.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Used in a good call they all sound good but I prefer slate for the natural mellow tones not the fake sounding high pitch ring you can sometimes get with other materials. A good slate can very accuratly reproduce every vocalization a turkey makes other than gobbles of course

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Wood?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
...composite. Yella Hammer would be a good choice. ;)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Old Yeller and Lynch box call.

Talking turkey.

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
The glass is more versatile in all weather conditions. But I use them all I have had turkeys gobble at one in the morning and not at it in the afternoon or even just another bird would like one over the other the same morning or afternoon. Even use a variety of strikers to get that bird to gobble. There is always that one bird looking for that special lady. Those turkeys get hassled in a lot of places and just want something differ. many times.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The glass is more versatile in all weather conditions. But I use them all I have had turkeys gobble at one in the morning and not at it in the afternoon or even just another bird would like one over the other the same morning or afternoon. Even use a variety of strikers to get that bird to gobble. There is always that one bird looking for that special lady. Those turkeys get hassled in a lot of places and just want something differ. many times.
One of my issues is that the guys that live near the property that I hunt call to the birds before the season starts. Most of the birds that have been taken on the property I hunt have come in silent. I guess I'm looking for a call that may be something they havent heard

·
Catch us if you can!
5,716 Posts
i vote glass, i like to reach out and touch em with my calls

·
Registered
312 Posts
Both .... they both sound different sometimes you need the ole changeup to fool that old gobbler

1 - 20 of 27 Posts