THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slavery Protections For Animals? Judge To Decide
By: Associated Press | NBC4i.com
Published: February 07, 2012 Updated: February 07, 2012 - 6:34 AM
» 0 Comments | Post a Comment
SAN DIEGO --
A federal judge for the first time in U.S. history heard arguments Monday in a case that could determine whether animals enjoy the same constitutional protection against slavery as human beings.

U.S. District Judge Jeffrey Miller called the hearing in San Diego after Sea World asked the court to dismiss a lawsuit filed by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals that names five orcas as plaintiffs in the case.

PETA claims the captured killer whales are treated like slaves for being forced to live in tanks and perform daily at its parks in San Diego and Orlando, Fla.

"This case is on the next frontier of civil rights," said PETA's attorney Jeffrey Kerr, representing the five orcas.

Sea World's attorney Theodore Shaw called the lawsuit a waste of the court's time and resources. He said it defies common sense and goes against 125 years of case law applied to the Constitution's 13th amendment that prohibits slavery between humans.

"With all due respect, the court does not have the authority to even consider this question," Shaw said, adding later: "Neither orcas nor any other animal were included in the 'We the people' ... when the Constitution was adopted."

Miller listened to both sides for an hour before announcing that he would take the case under advisement and issue his ruling at a later date. The judge raised doubts a court can allow animals to be plaintiffs in a lawsuit, and he questioned how far the implications of a favorable ruling could reach, pointing out the military's use of dolphins and scientists' experiments on whales in the wild.

Kerr acknowledged PETA faces an uphill battle but he said he was hopeful after Monday's hearing.

"This is an historic day," Kerr said. "For the first time in our nation's history, a federal court heard arguments as to whether living, breathing, feeling beings have rights and can be enslaved simply because they happen to not have been born human. By any definition these orcas have been enslaved here."

The issue is not about whether the animals have been subjected to abuse, the defense said. If the court were to grant orcas constitutional rights, Shaw warned the ruling would have profound implications that could impact everything from the way the U.S. government uses dogs to sniff out bombs and drugs to how zoos and aquariums operate.

"We're talking about hell unleashed," he said.

PETA said a ruling in its favor would only help to protect the orcas in the entertainment industry and other cases involving animals would have to be decided on their own merits.

Kerr said Sea World employees are in violation of the 13th amendment because their conduct is enslaving an intelligent, highly social species that suffers from its confinements in ways similar to what humans would experience.

Brushing animals off as property is the same argument that was used against African-Americans and women before their constitutional rights were protected, PETA says.

Shaw pointed out that argument does not translate because both women and African-Americans are people for which the Constitution was written to protect.

Miller did not specify when he would issue his ruling

CAN DEER FARMS BE NEXT,LIKE THE EXOTICS IN TEXAS NOW?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Wild animals should be free ...so we can hunt them.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
A prime example of why California is broke.....more taxpayers dollars being wasted. It is sad....funny....but sad!!! :wink:

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This country is becoming a place where the minority rules....and the further you get off the main trail ,the better

why can't they come up with ideas like........,grass has feelings, no more mowing the grass!

·
11,954 Posts
You have got to be kidding me......

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Say goodbye to pet ownership if one of those moron liberal judges decides in PETA's favor.

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,170 Posts
I wonder how many of the PETAs have "enslaved" pets in their homes...

·
Registered
745 Posts
The way this world is going it wont be long until all us bow hunters are merely 3d shooters. I wish the time and money wasted by these PETA type organizations would be implied more to the ethical treatment of humans as with animals these days... Gosh...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Amazing....PETA says this is only about these 3 whales too. They just keep doing this stuff in order to try to set a precedent and then go further and further. The fact that the court even heard any arguments at all is a victory for them. They are like cancer.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Its is a KALIFORNIA court ....anything could happen ......scary ......These ARAers go to law school's that specialize in animal rights.....

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Amazing....PETA says this is only about these 3 whales too. They just keep doing this stuff in order to try to set a precedent and then go further and further. The fact that the court even heard any arguments at all is a victory for them. They are like cancer.
Your entire post is 100% correct but the bolded part speaks volumes and is what the people that say "THEY'LL NEVER END HUNTING!" need to read so they can wake up and join the fight.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
Prime example of liberal ignorance.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think if you get the same rights as us you need to earn money and pay taxes on said money. Whales and animals do neither. Shoot they don't even talk to us, how do we know they dont like being penned up away from predators and 3 squares a day? Just a big crock if ya ask me

·
Registered
594 Posts
Your entire post is 100% correct but the bolded part speaks volumes and is what the people that say "THEY'LL NEVER END HUNTING!" need to read so they can wake up and join the fight.
I agree that we need to fight peta. I also think though that eliminating hunting altogether would cause major disruption in the U.S. yes we only make up 12% or something like that but that is still a lot plus I bet that 12% owns 75+% of the civilian owned weapons in this country. You have to put into the equation that you have thousands of company's making products for the hunting industry. Thats hundreds of thousands of jobs. It would be detrimental to the economy to shut down an entire industry. Same goes with guns. If they did ban hunting within 10 years it would be open again due to overpopulation of animals not just deer but animals like alligators,bears, and wolves that could do serious harm to people. Many believe that one day hunting will not exist in the U.S. I am not one of these at least not in my lifetime. The major thing with the anti's is to stop them from banning certain types of hunting thats were they can win is in the small battles but I don't think they will ever win the war.

·
Registered
12,800 Posts
yup...look at the "3 Exotics" and the chipshot those freaks won with that one....how long before they start going after the other 20 species on their list...

I agree that we need to fight peta. I also think though that eliminating hunting altogether would cause major disruption in the U.S. yes we only make up 12% or something like that but that is still a lot plus I bet that 12% owns 75+% of the civilian owned weapons in this country. You have to put into the equation that you have thousands of company's making products for the hunting industry. Thats hundreds of thousands of jobs. It would be detrimental to the economy to shut down an entire industry. Same goes with guns. If they did ban hunting within 10 years it would be open again due to overpopulation of animals not just deer but animals like alligators,bears, and wolves that could do serious harm to people. Many believe that one day hunting will not exist in the U.S. I am not one of these at least not in my lifetime. The major thing with the anti's is to stop them from banning certain types of hunting thats were they can win is in the small battles but I don't think they will ever win the war.
too little, too late...they already won a small shot at 3 exotics and keeping them from being hunted and exotics are private property.

·
Registered deer murderer
632 Posts
"PETA claims the captured killer whales are treated like slaves for being forced to live in tanks and perform daily at its parks in San Diego and Orlando, Fla"

I would like to see a human try to force an orca to do anything :rolleyes: What are you going to do if it decides it doesn't want to obey orders? Put it on time-out?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts