Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know weve all had the problem of pulling arrows out of 3d targets. I doubt i am the first to come up with this soulution to that problem but thought I would share the cure that was shared with me saturday by a guy at the archery range I plan on joining. The three items you will need are Black Magic Tire Wet, A tube of Mini [email protected]'s and a square of felt. I started by drilling a 5/16" hole in the top of the tube of [email protected]'s after me and my youngest made sure all them were properly taken care of. Next I measure my felt against the the tube and trimmed it to fit inside, you want to leave it about an inch or so taller then your tube as mine pressed down into the tube when I pushed in the arrow for the first time. Once the felt is trimmed roll up the felt and slide it into the tube. I then took the spray top off the black magic thing is child proof or something had a heck of a time getting it off. Pour the magic into the tube a little at a time giving all of the felt a chance to soak it up. snap lid back on and head to the range. I took some pics if anyone cares.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Way to use your head.

Simple and cheap. NICE! I hate when companies charge so much for stuff that is this easy to make yourself.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Does making your arrows slick allow them to go further into the target? Any risk of a pass though doing this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Does making your arrows slick allow them to go further into the target? Any risk of a pass though doing this?

Thanks.
I havnt noticed if it has. but it sure helps with pulling them out.

Great job.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts

Thanks.
I dont think it makes it that slick, just kinda helps it to be easier to pull out.
very nice by the way thanx for sharing!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I've been doing almost the same thing for a few years now. I've used 35mm film canisters, bubble gum tape cans and chewing tobacco cans. Inside I used sponges instead of felt, drill a hole all the way through the can, put the sponge inside and cut an x shaped hole through the sponge, soak with black magic and put the lid on. Works great and you can go as far up the shaft as you like, doesn't take up much space and I found it doesn't leak as the sponge holds the liquid well. I'll have to try an M&M tube, looks like it works great.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the idea. I'll have to give the dip can a try.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lube

I wonder has anyone tried chapstick? It would alleviate having to remove broadhead if were using them ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
A Couple of Other Things To Try

To improve the life of the bottom of the M&M tube I cut a circle of heavy leather and put in the bottom. I also found that one and a half jumbo foam hair curlers fill the tube and hold the tire slick very nicely. The hole in the center of the curlers is just right for standard carbons.

Good luck

sawdust2

·
Registered
486 Posts
Thanks for the great Idea. Im gonna give it a try!
Thanks, Lungblood

·
Registered
118 Posts
Excellent idea...Thank You

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
did you roll up the felt?

what's the inside look like?

I made some w/ PVC and never found a good way or item to stuff them w/. I tried foam but it would just get all smashed at the bottom.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I took the felt and one of my arrows an rolled he felt up around the arrow. I'm thinking about pulling the felt out as it's become smashed down at the bottom of the tube, was thinking of replacing it with cotton balls.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Instead of having to eat M&Ms why not use some 3/4" pvc conduit with caps on the ends? You can have one drilled out to slide your arrows through and when done for the day replace it with another one without holes!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Used the 3/4" CPVC water pipe to make mine(not bulky like 3/4" PVC) and put a piece of a paint roller sponge inside. The sponge is from one of those paint roller sticks that stores the paint in the handle, I can not remember the name though. BUT, the sponge work perfectly and it is perforated so it soaks up plenty of TW!!!
I MUCH PREFER TIRE WET!!! Get woody's on your hands and your done. A container of Tire Wet will last you forever!!! Just my 2 cents anyway :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I use Pig Point made by carbon Express, the actual point body is bigger that the shaft diameter but the buttom is flush to your shaft diameter and I have no problem puling it from 3D targets or even old hays. You can also crimp the points weight from 125 to 95 grains

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Scent

Do these products leave a deer-scaring scent on your arrows?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts